Forces [ Finding displacement ]

In summary, the problem involves an elevator on a planet with an acceleration of gravity of 10m/s^2. A student standing on a scale in the elevator records the scale reading over a period of time. The displacement of the elevator at the end of the fourth 5-second interval is found using the equation s = vit + 1/2 at2. The final answer is 93.75 m.
makemefly

Homework Statement

Assume you are on a planet similar to Earth where the acceleration of gravity is 10m/s^2 and the positive directions for displacement velocity and acceleration are upward. At t=0sec., an elevator is at a displacement of x=0 with a velocity of v=0m/s. A student whose weight is 400N stands on a scale in an elevator and records the scale reading as a function of time. The data is shown below:

0-5s--------400N
5-10s-------500N
10-15s------600N
15-20s-----0N

g) What is the displacement of the elevator
above the starting point at the end of the
fourth 5 s interval (at 20 s)?
Answer in units of m.

I was only completely sure about a and b, for a the direction is up and for b the mass is 40kg. I obviously don't want just answers, but steps and hopefully explanations to go along with it.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a X
X = ViT + 1/2 a t ^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let
a = acceleration
X = displacement
Vi = Initial Velocity
D(X) = Displacement for time interval

Interval : 0 - 5
a = 0
v = 0
X = 0

Int : 5-10
a = 2.5
v = 12.5
X = 0 + 1/2 (2.5) (5) ^2 = 31.25 m

int : 10-15
a = 5
v = 37.5
X = (37.5)(5) +1/2*(5)(5)^2 +31.25 = 281.25 m

int : 15-20
a= -10
v = -12.5
X = (281.25) + (-12.5)(5) + (1/2)*(-10) (5)^2 = 93.75 m

I submit 93.75 as my final answer and it was wrong. Any help or ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi makemefly! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

in your constant acceleration equation s = vit + 1/2 at2, i think you're using vf instead of vi for c and d :redface:

Related to Forces [ Finding displacement ]

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point.

2. How do you calculate displacement?

Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object. This can be represented by the equation Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the shortest distance and direction between the starting point and the ending point.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the object moves in the opposite direction of the positive direction. This indicates that the object's final position is behind its starting position.

5. How is displacement related to forces?

Displacement is directly related to forces as it is a result of the application of a force on an object. When a force is applied to an object, it may cause the object to move and thus experience a displacement.