Forces between two blocks on a frictionless surface

In summary, we have a system where a 7.18 kg block is connected to a 5.6 kg block through a light and unstretchable cord passing over a frictionless pulley. Using the equation Fnet=ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass and a is the acceleration, we can calculate the acceleration of the first block to be 4.29 m/s^2. To find the tension in the string, we can use the same equation and plug in the masses and acceleration to get a tension of 62.8 N.
Carmey

Homework Statement

A block of mass 7.18 kg lies on a frictionless
horizontal surface. The block is connected
by a cord passing over a pulley to another
block of mass 5.6 kg which hangs in the air, as
shown. Assume the cord to be light (massless
and weightless) and unstretchable and the
pulley to have no friction and no rotational
inertia.

Calculate the acceleration of the first block.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
Answer in units of m/s

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation Fnet=ma to find my horizontal equation T1-T2+M2G=MA
I then reduced that to M2G=MA since the two tensions are the same
After that I plugged in the numbers to get an acceleration of 9.8m/s^2
But i know this answer isn't right because when i checked it it was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Carmey, welcome to PF!

You are right, the tension is the same along the string, so T1=T2.

What did you denote by M2 and what is M? Show your work in detail, please.

ehild

Sorry M2 is the mass of the second block (5.6 kg block) and M is the mass. I just figured out my mistake though, when i had the equation M2G=MA i forgot to use both masses for M. So when i did that I got the right answer of 4.294209703

Well done !:smile: But do not forget to add rthe unit (m/s2 ), and round off the result to so many significant digits as in the data.

ehild

Ya thanks i got that. I do have another question though if you could help me with that. How would you find the tension in the same problem?

Never mind i got it.

Related to Forces between two blocks on a frictionless surface

What is the definition of frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is a hypothetical surface that has no resistance or friction when two objects come into contact with each other.

What is the significance of studying forces between two blocks on a frictionless surface?

Studying forces between two blocks on a frictionless surface can help us understand the fundamental principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, and how objects interact with each other in an ideal scenario.

How are forces between two blocks on a frictionless surface calculated?

In a frictionless surface, the only forces present are the normal force and the weight of the objects. The net force is then calculated by subtracting the weight of one block from the other. The normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction for both objects, resulting in a net force of zero.

What happens to the forces between two blocks on a frictionless surface when the blocks are on an incline?

On an incline, the forces between the two blocks will change. The weight of the blocks will now have a component parallel to the surface, and the normal force will have a component perpendicular to the surface. The net force will no longer be zero, and the blocks will accelerate down the incline.

Are there any real-life examples of a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is an idealized concept and does not exist in the real world. However, scientists can create close approximations of a frictionless surface, such as in experiments involving air tracks or in outer space where there is minimal resistance.