Forces Between 2 large conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnetic forces between two large conducting bars in a "U" shape when a large current is applied. The formula for the force is an approximation, but it works well when the distance between the bars is much smaller than their length. The small part of the "U" that connects the bars will have a negligible force compared to the straight parts.
JasonM
If I have two large cunducting bars (not the same size) that are separated by a distance D but connected with another conductor in between creating a "U" shape and apply a large current through it, how can I calculate the magnetic forces between the two large ends of the "U" shape?

I have already looked at it as two conductors parallel to one another (looking past the fact that they are connected) and came up with some numbers for the mag field and force between them. The forces should always be repelling the bars apart from one another in this case as it is single phase AC current in the shape of a "U".

I am just trying to find what type of reinforcement I need between them in order for them to not blow apart when I exert a very high current through the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field from one conductor (No1)##B_1## at the line where the other conductor (No2) lies will have the same value across all points of line and it will be

##B_1=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{I}{D}##

Hence it will exert a laplace force ##F_{12}=B_1Il=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}I^2\frac{l}{D}## where l the length of conductor.

To calculate the current I, you 'll probably have to take into account the self inductance of the whole circuit (unless you using an ampermeter to measure directly the current). According to some formula a good approximate value for the self inductance of such a circuit is

$$L=4\mu_0l(log\frac{D}{r}+\frac{\mu}{4})$$

where r the radius of each conductor and ##\mu## the permeability of the conductors. This result is a good approximation if the distance D is much smaller than the length l.

Last edited:
I know the current I will be putting through it. So it really is as simple as the formula above for calculating the force they have on each other?

Will the small part of the U that is connecting the bars have enough force to impact or should I look at it as just a bracing between the two conductors?

JasonM said:
I know the current I will be putting through it. So it really is as simple as the formula above for calculating the force they have on each other?
Well the formula for the force is also an approximation but it is a very good approximation if the distance D is much smaller than the length L.

Will the small part of the U that is connecting the bars have enough force to impact or should I look at it as just a bracing between the two conductors?
I believe same rule applies here, that is if the total length of the U part is much smaller than the length L, then the force from the U part will be negligible in comparison with the force from the straight L part.

Related to Forces Between 2 large conductors

1. What is the force between two large conductors?

The force between two large conductors is known as the electrostatic force, which is the force that exists between two charged objects. This force is caused by the interaction between the electric fields of the two conductors.

2. How is the force between two large conductors calculated?

The force between two large conductors can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges on the conductors and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the force between two large conductors depend on the material of the conductors?

Yes, the force between two large conductors can be affected by the material of the conductors. Conductors with higher conductivity will have a stronger force between them, while insulators will have a weaker force.

4. Can the force between two large conductors be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two large conductors can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the conductors. Like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract.

5. How does the distance between two large conductors affect the force between them?

The force between two large conductors is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the conductors increases, the force between them decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases.