Forces and laws of motion worksheet-Newtons first law

In summary, the conversation is about a physics worksheet that the person is having trouble with. They have completed most of the problems but have a question about problem number 3. They provide their attempts at solving it and ask for someone to check their work and help with the question.
meredith

Homework Statement

http://go.hrw.com/resources/go_sc/phy/HF2SR042.PDF

this is the link to the worksheet I am having trouble with. if anyone could help me out that would be great. i got most of it but have a few questions.

Homework Equations

fy=sin(angle) x force
fx= cos(angle) x force
fnet = √(fy^2 + fx^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) F1 + F2 + F3
2.) String 1: x component:0
y component: -Fg
String 2 x component: -F2cos(theta1)
y component: F2sin (theta1)
String 3: x component: F3cos(theta2)
y component: F3sin(theta2)

Number 3 is what I am having trouble with. i know that the Fx net is:
√0+xcomponent String2^2+x component String3^2)
but I am not sure about the y component. is it just the sqrrt of the sums of the squares of the three ycomponenents? or am i missing something?
oh and i think i can do #4 without a problem.

so can someone check my work and make sure its right and help me with #3? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
meredith said:

Homework Statement

http://go.hrw.com/resources/go_sc/phy/HF2SR042.PDF

this is the link to the worksheet I am having trouble with. if anyone could help me out that would be great. i got most of it but have a few questions.

Homework Equations

fy=sin(angle) x force
fx= cos(angle) x force
fnet = √(fy^2 + fx^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) F1 + F2 + F3
2.) String 1: x component:0
y component: -Fg
String 2 x component: -F2cos(theta1)
y component: F2sin (theta1)
String 3: x component: F3cos(theta2)
y component: F3sin(theta2)

Number 3 is what I am having trouble with. i know that the Fx net is:
√0+xcomponent String2^2+x component String3^2)
but I am not sure about the y component. is it just the sqrrt of the sums of the squares of the three ycomponenents? or am i missing something?
oh and i think i can do #4 without a problem.

so can someone check my work and make sure its right and help me with #3? thanks!

1) It's in equilibrium...

2) 0, [tex]F_1=m\textbf{g}[/tex].

3) It's in equlibrium in both directions...

4) Sweet.

Hello! It looks like you have a good understanding of the first two problems. For number 3, you are correct that the Fx net is the square root of the sums of the squares of the two x components. For the Fy net, you will need to take into account the vertical forces acting on the object. So the Fy net would be the sum of the y components of all three strings, which would be -Fg + F2sin(theta1) + F3sin(theta2). Then you can use the Fx net and Fy net to calculate the overall net force using the formula fnet = √(fy^2 + fx^2). I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Forces and laws of motion worksheet-Newtons first law

What is Newton's first law?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in Newtons (N).

How does an object's mass affect its inertia?

An object with a larger mass will have a greater inertia, meaning it will be more resistant to changes in its state of motion. This is because a larger mass requires more force to accelerate or decelerate.

What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

Can an object have a constant velocity if there is a net force acting on it?

No, an object cannot have a constant velocity if there is a net force acting on it. According to Newton's first law, an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, if there is a net force acting on the object, its velocity will change.