Forces and Friction of sliding blocks

In summary: The conversation is about determining the minimum weight of block C to prevent block A from sliding, given the weights of block A and B and the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between block A and the table. The minimum weight of block C is calculated to be 66N based on the given information. The acceleration of block A after block C is lifted off is also discussed, but it is not relevant to the question of minimum weight.
shawpeez
I've been looking at this question for the last two hours, here's the question and what I've done so far

The picture shows 3 blocks, A B and C, block C is ontop of block A. Block B is connected to block A by a rope, and is hanging over the edge.

here it is,

Blocks A and B have weights of 44N and 22N, respectively. (a) Determine the minimum weight of block C to keep A from sliding if s between A and the table is 0.20. (b) Block C suddenly is liffted off A. What is the acceleration of block A if k between A and the table is 0.15?

This is what I've done

Block A + C
mg= 44N
m = 44/g
= 4.49 + X

Fnet(y) = N - Mg = ma

N = Mg
=(4.49 + x)g

Fnet(x) = T - f = ma
T - f = (4.49 + x)a

Block B
mg = 22N
m= 22/g
= 2.24

Fnet = T - mg = ma
T - (2.24)(9.8) = 0
T = 22N

From this i assumed that when there is no acceleration the Tension in the rope is 22N, therefore the static friction when there is no movement in Block A+C is 22N

Fmax = s Fn
22N = 0.2 (mg)
22N = 0.2 (4.49 + x)(9.8)
22 = 8.8 + 1.96x
x= 6.7 Kg Therefore the min. weight of C is 6.7kg times 9.8m/s^2 = 66N

im not sure if I did this right, so I would appreciate if someone could let me know. Thanks:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
shawpeez said:
Therefore the min. weight of C is 6.7kg times 9.8m/s^2 = 66N
im not sure if I did this right, so I would appreciate if someone could let me know.

It is correct.

ehild

I would say that your approach to solving this problem is mostly correct. You have correctly identified the forces acting on each block and used Newton's laws of motion to determine the minimum weight of block C to prevent block A from sliding. I would also suggest that you double check your calculations to ensure that all units are consistent and that you have correctly accounted for the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Additionally, it would be helpful to label all of your variables and equations clearly to make your work easier to follow.

For part (b) of the question, you have correctly determined that the tension in the rope is 22N when there is no acceleration. However, I would suggest using the equation Fnet = ma to solve for the acceleration of block A, rather than assuming that the tension remains constant. This will give you a more accurate answer.

Overall, your approach to solving this problem is sound and demonstrates a good understanding of the concepts of forces and friction. Keep up the good work!

Related to Forces and Friction of sliding blocks

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that acts on an object, causing it to accelerate or change direction.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces including gravity, friction, applied force, normal force, tension, and spring force.

3. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the roughness or irregularities of the two surfaces in contact.

4. How does friction affect the motion of sliding blocks?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of sliding blocks by opposing the applied force. It can also cause the blocks to heat up due to the energy being converted into heat.

5. How can we reduce friction between sliding blocks?

We can reduce friction between sliding blocks by using lubricants such as oil or grease, making the surfaces smoother, or by using wheels or ball bearings to reduce the surface area in contact.