Forced response of a mass-spring-damper system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the forced response of a mass-spring-damper system using Laplace Transform. The equation of motion and attempted solution using partial fractions are mentioned. The suggestion to use the convolution theorem and the desire to solve in the Laplace domain and then use inverse transform are also discussed.
JolileChat

Homework Statement

I need to find the forced response of a mass-spring-damper system by using Laplace Transform.

Homework Equations

Equation of motion:
[tex] \ddot{x} + 2 \zeta \omega_n \dot{x} + {\omega_n}^2 x = \frac{F}{m} cos \left( \omega t \right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At the Laplace domain, we have:

[tex] X \left( S \right) = \frac{F/m}{S^2+ 2 \zeta \omega_n S + {\omega_n}^2} \frac{S}{S^2+\omega^2} [/tex]

After this point, I try to make partial fractions, but I must be missing something. It results in a page full of algebra, and it does not look like the correct solution.

Please, could you help me on figuring out what I should do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could complete the squares in the denominator of the first term and then use the convolution theorem. Or use partial fractions on the first term and then use the convolution theorem.

nickjer said:
You could complete the squares in the denominator of the first term and then use the convolution theorem. Or use partial fractions on the first term and then use the convolution theorem.

You mean doing the convolution between the impulse response and the cosine forcing function?

I'd like to solve the problem in the Laplace domain, then apply the inverse transform to get the time response.

You did solve it in the Laplace domain, assuming that equation you gave in the first post is correct. Now you need to take the inverse transform of that equation. I just recommended using the convolution theorem when taking the inverse.

If you want to break it all up by partial fractions you can, but it will get very messy. Another trick would be taking the partial fraction of just the first term and then using the convolution theorem.

Related to Forced response of a mass-spring-damper system

1. What is a mass-spring-damper system?

A mass-spring-damper system is a physical system that consists of a mass connected to a spring and a damper. The mass represents the object being studied, the spring provides a restoring force, and the damper dissipates energy to resist motion.

2. How does a mass-spring-damper system respond to external forces?

The response of a mass-spring-damper system to external forces is determined by the system's natural frequency, damping ratio, and the magnitude and frequency of the external force. The system's response can be calculated using equations derived from Newton's second law of motion.

3. What is the forced response of a mass-spring-damper system?

The forced response of a mass-spring-damper system is the motion of the system caused by an external force. This motion can be described by displacement, velocity, and acceleration, and can be calculated using mathematical equations or simulated through computer modeling.

4. How does damping affect the forced response of a mass-spring-damper system?

Damping affects the forced response of a mass-spring-damper system by controlling the rate at which energy is dissipated. Higher damping ratios result in a slower decay of amplitude and a shorter settling time, while lower damping ratios can lead to oscillations and resonance.

5. How is the forced response of a mass-spring-damper system used in practical applications?

The forced response of a mass-spring-damper system is used in many practical applications, such as shock absorbers in vehicles, earthquake-resistant buildings, and vibration control systems. Understanding and predicting the forced response allows engineers to design systems that can withstand external forces and function effectively.