Force Vector into a Force (Power)

In summary, to find the power input of a force vector acting on a particle with a given velocity vector, you need to find the dot product of the two. In this specific scenario, the force vector is given as 4N i hat + 3N k hat and the velocity vector is given as 9 m/s i hat. The correct equation to find the power is P = F_xv_x + F_yv_y, where F_x and F_y are the x and y components of the force vector, and v_x and v_y are the x and y components of the velocity vector.
Havok23

Homework Statement

Find the power input of a force vector F acting on a particle that moves with a velocity vector v for each of the following situations.
(a) vector F = 4 N i hat + 3 N k hat , vector v = 9 m/s i hat

Homework Equations

P = F * V

The Attempt at a Solution

P =(4*9) +3

Also tried

P = SQRT(4^2+3^2) * 9
I guess the problem is I don't know how to convert the vector 4i+3j into a force.

Physics news on Phys.org
That vector is the force. You have a force with an x component of 4N and a y component of 3N.

In order to find the power you need to find the dot product of F and v:

[tex]P=\vec{F}\cdot\vec{v}=F_xv_x+F_yv_y[/tex]

It seems like this was what you were trying to do in your first attempt. You made one small mistake. HINT: What is [itex]v_y[/itex]?

I would like to clarify that a force vector is already a force, it is just represented in a vector form. Therefore, there is no need to convert it into a force. The vector 4N i hat + 3N k hat represents a force of 4N in the x-direction and 3N in the z-direction.

To find the power input, we can use the equation P = F * V, where P is the power, F is the force, and V is the velocity. In this case, the force vector F = 4N i hat + 3N k hat and the velocity vector v = 9 m/s i hat.

Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

P = (4N i hat + 3N k hat) * (9 m/s i hat)

= (4N * 9 m/s) + (3N * 0 m/s)

= 36 W + 0 W

= 36 W

Therefore, the power input of the force vector F on the particle is 36 Watts.

Related to Force Vector into a Force (Power)

What is a force vector?

A force vector is a representation of a force as a directed line segment, with the length of the line representing the magnitude of the force and the direction of the line representing the direction of the force.

How is a force vector calculated?

A force vector is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the unit vector in the direction of the force.

What is the difference between force and power?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or intensity of a push or pull, while power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

How is force vector related to power?

Force vector and power are related in that a force vector can be used to calculate the power of a force. Power is equal to the force multiplied by the velocity at which the force is applied.

Why is it important to understand force vector and power?

Understanding force vector and power is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and biomechanics. It allows for the accurate calculation and analysis of forces and their effects on objects and systems.