Force/Torque frequency proportional to current frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz force equation, which states that current is proportional to force. The question is raised about whether the force generated by an AC current at 60Hz will always have the same frequency, and if this would still hold true for non-linear current shapes. The person also mentions getting some rectification and asks for clarification and possible resources on the topic.
jcesar1029
Lorentz force equation shows us that current is proportional to the force. Is it safe to assume that the force generated by an AC current at 60Hz will always have the same frequency? In other words, as the current increases and deceases (sinusoidal) the force will follow the same pattern at the same rate.

Would this be true if the current flow had a circular shape or any non-linear shape? The reason I ask is because Maxwell is giving me torque plots of frequencies twice the frequency of the input current. I find this odd.

Physics news on Phys.org
jcesar1029 said:
Lorentz force equation shows us that current is proportional to the force. Is it safe to assume that the force generated by an AC current at 60Hz will always have the same frequency? In other words, as the current increases and deceases (sinusoidal) the force will follow the same pattern at the same rate.

Would this be true if the current flow had a circular shape or any non-linear shape? The reason I ask is because Maxwell is giving me torque plots of frequencies twice the frequency of the input current. I find this odd.
Sounds like you are getting some rectification. Can you post some screen shots of your circuit/setup and the output from Maxwell? :smile:

berkeman said:
Sounds like you are getting some rectification. Can you post some screen shots of your circuit/setup and the output from Maxwell? :smile:

I can get some plots, can you explain a little bit more about what you refer to rectification? Papers that talk about this.

Related to Force/Torque frequency proportional to current frequency

1. What is meant by "force/torque frequency proportional to current frequency"?

The term "force/torque frequency proportional to current frequency" refers to the relationship between the frequency of an alternating current (AC) and the resulting force or torque produced by an electric motor. It means that as the frequency of the current increases, so does the force or torque produced by the motor.

2. How does the frequency of an AC current affect the force or torque produced by an electric motor?

As the frequency of an AC current increases, the force or torque produced by an electric motor also increases. This is because the frequency of the current determines the rate at which the motor's magnetic field alternates, which in turn affects the strength of the force or torque produced by the motor.

3. What is the benefit of having a force/torque frequency proportional to current frequency?

Having a force/torque frequency proportional to current frequency allows for greater control and precision in the operation of electric motors. By adjusting the frequency of the current, the force or torque produced by the motor can be easily varied to meet specific needs and requirements.

4. Are there any limitations to the relationship between force/torque frequency and current frequency?

Yes, there are limitations to this relationship. As the frequency of the current increases, the motor may reach its maximum operational speed and become unable to produce any additional force or torque. Additionally, factors such as the motor's design and the load it is powering may also affect this relationship.

5. How is the force or torque-frequency relationship utilized in practical applications?

The force or torque-frequency relationship is utilized in various applications, such as in the operation of electric motors in industrial machinery, appliances, and vehicles. It is also used in the control of speed and precision in robotics, as well as in medical devices and equipment.