Force to topple a block. (moments, centre of gravity)

In summary, the problem is that the moments of the block on the ground do not sum to zero at an angle when the force is zero, indicating that it is not the angle of tipping over that is causing the problem. However, the answer does agree with one of the other options if the force at the angle of tipping over is considered.
Fionn00
Hi I would greatly appreciate help on this problem.

Homework Statement

Ok so here is the problem

OMJvf.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to work out the moments for the block on the ground with no angle to the ground.
moments about a = .45(35000*g) - 3.2 * f = 0
Where f is the force exerted from the elephant but the answer I got is 4823 whic is not one of the options.

I then thought maybe it was the force at the angle of tipping over but the moments sum to zero at this angle when f is zero so this can't be it.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fionn00 said:
I first tried to work out the moments for the block on the ground with no angle to the ground.
moments about a = .45(35000*g) - 3.2 * f = 0
Where f is the force exerted from the elephant but the answer I got is 4823 whic is not one of the options.

I then thought maybe it was the force at the angle of tipping over but the moments sum to zero at this angle when f is zero so this can't be it.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Fionn, welcome to PF! :smile:

Your analysis is entirely correct!
And your answer is the right answer.
Answer C would be the closest and will be intended to be the right answer.
It seems your list of answers is slightly off. :(

Note that all the other answers are off by a significant amount or have the wrong unit.

I like Serena said:
Hi Fionn, welcome to PF! :smile:

Your analysis is entirely correct!
And your answer is the right answer.
Answer C would be the closest and will be intended to be the right answer.
It seems your list of answers is slightly off. :(

Note that all the other answers are off by a significant amount or have the wrong unit.

Thanks for replying.

Are you sure it would be very strange if the list of answers are wrong as it was a previous exam paper.
I agree by the looks of things the answer is c but was my method definitely right ?

Fionn00 said:
Thanks for replying.

Are you sure it would be very strange if the list of answers are wrong as it was a previous exam paper.
I agree by the looks of things the answer is c but was my method definitely right ?

Imho you method is definitely right! :smile:

And if you're still doubting, consider the meanings of the other answers.
They are way off!

I like Serena said:
Imho you method is definitely right! :smile:

And if you're still doubting, consider the meanings of the other answers.
They are way off!

Ok thanks for your help.

As a matter of interest, I did some experiments with this sort of problem, but not using an elephant. The result did not accord with this simple theory, perhaps because the theory doesn't take account of the need to raise the centre of gravity to obtain a collapse state. The moral is not to believe everything you are told.

Related to Force to topple a block. (moments, centre of gravity)

1. What is the definition of "force to topple a block"?

The force to topple a block refers to the minimum amount of external force required to cause a stationary block to fall over or topple.

2. How is the force to topple a block calculated?

The force to topple a block is calculated by multiplying the weight of the block by the distance from the center of gravity to the edge of the block where it would topple. This distance is known as the "lever arm" or "moment arm."

3. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which an object would balance if it were suspended.

4. How does the distance of the center of gravity affect the force required to topple a block?

The farther the center of gravity is from the edge of the block, the larger the lever arm and therefore the more force is required to topple the block. This is because the weight of the block is distributed over a greater distance, making it more stable.

5. What are some factors that can affect the force required to topple a block?

The force required to topple a block can be affected by the weight and shape of the block, the surface it is resting on, and the direction and magnitude of the external force being applied. Additionally, the position of the center of gravity and the stability of the block's base can also play a role in the force required to topple it.