Force to pull appart hemiphere under vacuum.

In summary, Otto von Guericke conducted a demonstration in which two teams of horses could not pull apart two evacuated brass hemispheres. The force required to pull apart the hemispheres is equal to the product of the difference between the outside and inside pressures and the surface area of the hemispheres. If the radius of the hemispheres is 30 cm and the outside and inside pressures are 1.00 atm and 0.10 atm respectively, the force magnitude required to pull apart the hemispheres is 25774N. Additionally, one team of horses could have proved the same point if the hemispheres were attached to a sturdy wall, as the wall would provide an equal and opposite force to the team of
freezer

Homework Statement

In 1654 Otto von Guericke, inventor of the air pump, gave a demonstration before the noblemen of the Holy Roman Empire in which two teams of eight horses could not pull apart two evacuated brass hemispheres.

(a) Assuming the hemispheres have (strong) thin walls, so that R in Fig. 14-29

may be considered both the inside and outside radius, show that the force required to pull apart the hemispheres has magnitude
[itex] F = \pi R^2\Delta p[/itex] , where [itex]\Delta p [/itex] is the difference between the pressures outside and inside the sphere.

(b) Taking R as 30 cm, the inside pressure as 0.10 atm, and the outside pressure as 1.00 atm, find the force magnitude the teams of horses would have had to exert to pull apart the hemispheres. BOB Answer is 26kN

(c) Explain why one team of horses could have proved the point just as well if the hemispheres were attached to a sturdy wall.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In part a i am not sure what it is asking me to do. My guess is is they are wanting me to state: There is no x or y component in the formula so the the formula provided is the magnitude. The cos(180deg) = -1, therefore the force on the left is equal and opposite to the force on the right.

Part b
[itex]
F = \pi 0.30m^2(101325pa - 10132.5pa) = 25774N
[/itex]

Part c
As a result of Newton's third law, where there is an action their is an equal an opposite reaction, the sturdy wall provides a force equal to the team of horses in the opposite direction. Therefore, one team of horses pulling an object anchored to a sturdy wall is equal to two teams of horses pulling on the object in opposite directions.

Physics news on Phys.org
freezer said:
In part a i am not sure what it is asking me to do. My guess is is they are wanting me to state: There is no x or y component in the formula so the the formula provided is the magnitude. The cos(180deg) = -1, therefore the force on the left is equal and opposite to the force on the right.
I don't see how that makes any progress towards deriving the required formula.
What is the net force on some small patch dA of one of the hemispheres? What direction does it act in?

Related to Force to pull appart hemiphere under vacuum.

What is meant by "force to pull apart hemisphere under vacuum"?

"Force to pull apart hemisphere under vacuum" refers to the amount of force required to separate two hemispheres that have been placed together and have all air removed from the space between them. This creates a vacuum, which increases the difficulty of separating the hemispheres.

Why is it important to measure the force to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum?

Measuring the force to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum is important in understanding the strength and durability of materials. It can also provide insight into the effects of vacuum pressure on different materials.

What factors can affect the force required to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum?

The force required to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum can be affected by the size and shape of the hemispheres, the type of material they are made of, the amount of vacuum pressure, and any surface coatings or treatments applied to the hemispheres.

How is the force to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum measured?

The force to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum is typically measured using a specialized instrument called a tensile tester. This device applies a pulling force to the hemispheres and measures the amount of force required to separate them.

What are some practical applications of understanding the force to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum?

Understanding the force to pull apart a hemisphere under vacuum can have practical applications in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and electronics. It can also be useful in the development of new materials and for quality control purposes.