Force Systems Multiple Choice Thread

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass M1 connected to a hanging block of mass M2 by a string over a pulley. The acceleration of the system is 0.6g, with negligible friction and string mass. To find the ratio of masses M2/M1, the tension in the string is calculated as 0.4 M2 * g and substituted into the equation for M1's free body analysis. This results in the correct answer.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

http://gpschools.schoolwires.net/cms/lib05/MI01000971/Centricity/Domain/272/Chapter%205%20MC%2013.pdf
It is problem 22 on page 7 of the document:

A block of mass M1 on a horizontal table is connected to a hanging block of mass M2 by a string that passes over a pulley, as shown. The acceleration of the blocks is 0.6g. Assume that the friction and the mass of the string are negligible.
upload_2016-3-19_18-31-27.png

22. The ratio of masses M2 / M1 is
(A)0.67
(B) 1.0
(C) 1.4
(D)1.5
(E) 1.6

[Note: Post edited by moderator to include the problem statement content in-post]

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
OK. I know that this is a force system, and I would draw the free body diagrams for each and write out the equations for each block and solve. So I was able to get the tension T in the string to be 0.4 M2 * g. I was also able to get a=0.6 g. My numbers so far are correct.

However, I am at a loss for finding the ratio of masses M2/M1. Could anyone help me, please? Thanks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have found the tension as a function of M2, substitute that value for T in your equation that you determined from your free body analysis of M1.

Thanks for that hint! I solved it!

Related to Force Systems Multiple Choice Thread

1. What is a force system?

A force system is a collection of forces acting on a body. It can include both external and internal forces, and can be described by the magnitude, direction, and point of application of each force.

2. What is the difference between concurrent and non-concurrent force systems?

A concurrent force system is one in which all forces intersect at a single point, while a non-concurrent force system has forces that do not intersect at a common point. An example of a concurrent force system is the forces acting on a nail when it is being hammered into a wall, while an example of a non-concurrent force system is the forces acting on a book resting on a table.

3. How do you determine the resultant force in a force system?

The resultant force in a force system is the vector sum of all the individual forces. To determine the resultant force, you can use the parallelogram or triangle method, or you can break down the forces into their x and y components and use trigonometry to find the resultant force.

4. What is the difference between a free body diagram and a shear and moment diagram?

A free body diagram is a simplified representation of a body or object, showing all the external forces acting on it, while a shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces (shear and moment) acting on a beam or structural member. Free body diagrams are used to analyze the overall equilibrium of a system, while shear and moment diagrams are used to analyze the internal stresses in a structure.

5. How do forces in a force system affect the motion of an object?

The forces in a force system can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or remain in a state of constant motion (if the forces are balanced). The direction and magnitude of the resultant force will determine the direction and magnitude of the object's acceleration. This is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.