Proving Triangle AEF = Triangle FBD: A Puzzling Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that triangle AEF is equal to triangle FBD in a given scenario involving medians and their intersections. The summary explains that since medians divide a triangle into two equal parts, the triangles ABD and ADC are equal. By bisecting these triangles, it follows that BDF and AEF are also equal, proving the original statement.
ruud
I can't figure out this problem

Lets take triangle ABC
A

B C

a median (D) goes from A to the midpoint of BC
a median (E) goes from B to the midpoint of AC

Prove that triangle AEF = triangle FBD

Since a median divides up a triangle you know that
triangle ABD = triangle ADC
triangle ABE = triangle EBC

Here is where I'm getting stuck could someone please tell me the next step or two?

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention F is the point where the two medians cross

Well, I am not sure what form your answer is supposed to take, but how about this...

You know that
ABD = ADC

Then when you bisect them it follows that:
(1/2)ABD = (1/2)ADC

Since
BDF = (1/2)ABD and AEF = (1/2)ADC

Then
BDF = AEF

I hope this helps. Let me know.

1. What is the problem of proving Triangle AEF = Triangle FBD?

The problem of proving Triangle AEF = Triangle FBD is a mathematical puzzle that involves determining if two triangles are congruent, or equal in shape and size. In this particular problem, the two triangles have some known information, such as side lengths and angles, but it is not immediately clear if they are congruent or not.

2. What are some strategies for solving this problem?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve this problem. These include using known geometric theorems, such as the Side-Angle-Side (SAS) or Angle-Side-Angle (ASA) congruence criteria, as well as applying algebraic methods, such as setting up and solving equations using the given information.

3. How can I check my solution for this problem?

To check your solution for this problem, you can use the congruence criteria mentioned above. If all of the corresponding sides and angles of the two triangles are equal, then you have proven that Triangle AEF = Triangle FBD. You can also use a protractor and ruler to physically measure the sides and angles of the triangles to confirm their congruence.

4. Are there any specific steps I should follow when attempting to solve this problem?

Yes, there are some recommended steps to follow when attempting to solve this problem. First, carefully read and understand the given information about the two triangles. Then, identify any known geometric theorems or formulas that may be applicable. Next, use those theorems or formulas to set up equations and solve for any unknown values. Finally, check your solution using the congruence criteria to confirm that the two triangles are indeed congruent.

5. Can this problem be solved using only basic geometric knowledge?

Yes, this problem can be solved using only basic geometric knowledge. While some more advanced theorems and formulas may make the solving process easier, it is possible to solve this problem by applying basic geometric principles, such as the angle sum property of triangles and the Pythagorean theorem.