Force Resultant Along x' Axis: Find F & Theta

In summary, Robb attempted to solve a homework problem involving three forces, but did not follow the recommended methods of writing the equations in three dimensions and using unit vector notation. His final solutions did not match the angle given in the problem.
Robb

Homework Statement

Hibbeler14.ch2.p58.jpg

Three forces act on the bracket, the resultant force is directed along the x' axis and has a magnitude of 9.8kN. Determine the magnitude of F. Determine the direction theta of F.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how I am doing with. Any advice would be much appreciated!

upload_2016-9-18_13-12-44.png
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb,

You'll get more responses and better help if helpers can see clear and commented work that's easy to quote in a response. A not-too-clear image of handwritten calculations without comments will deter many. It is better to insert a description of what you are doing and why at each step. The very best thing to do, of course, is to type out your math using LaTeX so that helpers can directly quote and comment...

In your drawing (that is hard to read) I see that you have attempted to write the forces using unit vector notation. That is good. However, these forces are in two dimensions in the plane of the screen. You seem to have written the forces in three dimensions. Write all three forces in unit vector notation using ## \hat{i} ## and ## \hat{j} ## only, add them and see what is needed to get a resultant in the direction x'.

On edit: Try to follow gneill's recommendation.

Sorry for the confusing drawing. I guess I was looking at x' as a third axis/dimension. No?

No, x' is in the same plane as the 4kN, the 6kN and the resultant. It has to be in the same plane because it is the direction of the resultant. Maybe this will make it easier for you to find the answer.

F1= 6i
F2= F(2x)i + F(2y)j
F3= (-4sin15)i + ( 4cos15)j= -1.03i = 3.86j
Fr- (9.8cos30)i +(9.8sin30)j = 8.49i + 4.9j

8.49= 6-1.03 + F(2x)
F(2x)= 3.52kNi
F(2y)= 4.9 - 3.86= 1.04kNj

F2= 3.67kN

I assume for the direction theta, they are referring to the one shown between the y-axis and the vector F2? I labeled the vectors F1, F2, F3 starting with the x-axis and moving counter clockwise.

Robb said:
assume for the direction theta, they are referring to the one shown between the y-axis and the vector F2?
Yes, that's what they mean. Find it and you are done. I didn't run your numbers but they look OK.

arctan(1.04/3.52) = 16.46

Looking at the drawing this angle would make sense but which angle is tangent measuring here? Typically I would say between the x-axis and F2 but that number doesn't make sense looking at the drawing.

Drop a perpendicular from the tip of F to the y-axis. You have a right triangle and the perpendicular you just drew is opposite to θ. What is tanθ?

arctan (1.04/3.52)= 16.46

I looked at it that way to but I also wondered about dropping a perpendicular from the tip of F to the x axis. NVMD! Just saw it. Thanks for the help!

So, the answer turned out to be theta= 73.5. Seems to me, from looking at the drawing, like that makes more sense if it were measured from the x axis, ccw.

The drawing shows that θ is measured with respect to the y-axis CW. You have to find the angle that the problem is asking you to find and 73.5o is the complementary angle of θ. Not all angles are measured with respect to the x-axis CCW.

That's what I though but masteringengineering.com says the answer for theta is 73.5. I entered 16.5 first and it said I was wrong. I really hate that site for homework!

I would hate it too. You have learned all you need to learn from this problem. I suggest that you show your solution to your instructor and ask why it is marked wrong. He/She needs to know and, if enough people complain, perhaps a different homework platform will be chosen next time the course is taught.

Related to Force Resultant Along x' Axis: Find F & Theta

1. What is a force resultant along the x' axis?

A force resultant along the x' axis is a single force that represents the combined effect of all the forces acting on an object in the x' direction.

2. How do you find the magnitude of the force resultant along the x' axis?

The magnitude of the force resultant along the x' axis can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the magnitude of the force resultant can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the forces acting on the object in the x' direction.

3. What is the direction of the force resultant along the x' axis?

The direction of the force resultant along the x' axis is given by the angle, theta (θ), which is measured counterclockwise from the positive x' axis.

4. How do you calculate the angle, theta (θ), of the force resultant along the x' axis?

The angle, theta (θ), can be calculated by using the inverse tangent function (tan⁻¹) on the ratio of the y' component of the force resultant to the x' component.

5. Can the force resultant along the x' axis ever be equal to zero?

Yes, it is possible for the force resultant along the x' axis to be equal to zero if the sum of the forces acting on the object in the x' direction is equal to zero. This means that the forces are balanced and there is no net force in the x' direction.