Force required to pull trunk across floor

In summary, the problem involves a 110 kg trunk being dragged at a constant velocity with a horizontal force of 380 N. A friend helps by pulling upwards with a force of 150 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is found to be 0.35. The question posed is whether this help is effective, to which the answer depends on whether the force normal on the trunk decreases enough for the required force to be lower than 380 N. By setting up and solving equations for the sum of forces in each direction, it is determined that the force required for the trunk to remain at a constant velocity is 377.3 N without the friend's help and 324.8 N with the friend's help. The results suggest that
Ace.

Homework Statement

You are dragging a 110 kg trunk across a floor at a constant velocity with horizontal force of 380 N. A friend decides to help by pulling on the trunk with a force of 150 N [up]. Will this help? Calculate the force required to pull the trunk at a constant velocity to help you decide.

Homework Equations

μk = Fk/FN
Fg = m × g

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) to be 0.35.

I'm confused by what it means by "will this help?". Wouldn't it help because your friend is reducing the FN (force normal) on the trunk? I found force required to pull the trunk at a constant velocity is 377.3 N (Fk) using the equation:

μk = Fk/FN
= 0.35 x 1078 N
= 377.3 N.

Now, when your friend is pulling the trunk upwards wouldn't the Force normal decrease to 928 N [up] because 1078 N - 150 N? So would the force required be

Fk/ FN = 324.8N?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ace. said:
I found the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) to be 0.35.
What is important is how you found it. My number may agree with yours but if I got it by furvent prayor I probably won't get the marks.
I'm confused by what it means by "will this help?". Wouldn't it help because your friend is reducing the FN (force normal) on the trunk?
Well would it? If so, then it does help and if not then it doesn't. Where is the confusion?

Note: someone not familiar with the way friction works may think that people who help should pull, at least a bit, in the same direction as you.

Anyhow - reading the rest - your reasoning seems fine if a little disorganized.
One way to overcome confusion and uncertainty with this sort of problem is to draw the free body diagram (or some other reasonable diagram) with all the forces and formally write ƩF=ma for each axis direction.

So : constant velocity implies acceleration is zero so ma=0 ... and you can write:
- by yourself: ##\sum F=ma \Rightarrow##
vertically: ##F_N-mg=0##
horizontally: ##F_{me}-\mu F_N=0##

- with your friend: ##\sum F=ma \Rightarrow##
vertically: ##F_N+F_{him}-mg=0##
horizontally: ##F_{me}-\mu F_N=0##

See how it is easier to have confidence in your results when it is written like that?

Related to Force required to pull trunk across floor

1. What is the definition of force required to pull a trunk across the floor?

The force required to pull a trunk across the floor is the amount of strength or effort needed to overcome the resistance or friction between the trunk and the floor surface. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is the force required to pull a trunk across the floor calculated?

The force required to pull a trunk across the floor can be calculated using the equation F = μ x N, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction between the trunk and the floor, and N is the normal force acting on the trunk.

3. What factors affect the force required to pull a trunk across the floor?

The force required to pull a trunk across the floor is affected by the weight of the trunk, the coefficient of friction between the trunk and the floor, and the roughness or smoothness of the floor surface. Additionally, the force required may also vary depending on the angle or direction of the pull.

4. How can the force required to pull a trunk across the floor be reduced?

The force required to pull a trunk across the floor can be reduced by decreasing the weight of the trunk, increasing the smoothness of the floor surface, or using lubricants to reduce friction between the trunk and the floor. Additionally, pulling the trunk at a lower angle or in the direction of the grain of the floor can also reduce the force required.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the force required to pull a trunk across the floor?

Understanding the force required to pull a trunk across the floor can be useful in various industries such as logistics and transportation, where heavy objects are often moved across different types of flooring. It can also be beneficial in designing and testing materials for luggage and other wheeled devices that are pulled or pushed on the ground.