Force Produced from a Magnet In a Solenoid

In summary, the interaction between a permanent magnet and a solenoid can be determined using the principle of Lorentz force. The force applied to the magnet when the solenoid is energized depends on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the orientation and strength of the magnet, and the distance between the two. By using equations for magnetic field strength and Lorentz force, an equation can be developed to calculate the force applied to the magnet. Specific dimensions and properties of the solenoid and magnet will need to be taken into consideration for an accurate calculation.
cstobart
Hi,

I was browsing through many academic papers and could find little information of a simple solenoid with a permanent magnet in the core of the solenoid. Solving the field in a simple solenoid is very straight forward, but I was having difficulty understanding the interaction between the permanent magnet and the solenoid - in terms of force.

I would like to determine the force applied to the permanent magnet when the solenoid is energized. Please note that the permanent magnet is cylindrical, will always have some portion of itself in the core of the solenoid, and can move freely. Can anyone point me in the right direction or better yet show me how to develop such an equation?

Please avoid giving me recommendations for FEM or similar tools.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer some insight into your question about the interaction between a permanent magnet and a solenoid. First, I would like to clarify that the force applied to the permanent magnet when the solenoid is energized will depend on a few factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field in the solenoid, the orientation and strength of the permanent magnet, and the distance between the magnet and the solenoid.

To determine the force, we can use the principle of Lorentz force, which states that a magnetic field will exert a force on a moving charge. In this case, the permanent magnet can be considered as a collection of moving charges. When the solenoid is energized, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet.

The force applied to the permanent magnet can be calculated using the following equation:

F = qv x B

Where F is the force, q is the charge of the permanent magnet, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. Since the permanent magnet is cylindrical, we can assume that its velocity is constant and its orientation is parallel to the axis of the solenoid. Therefore, the force can be simplified to:

F = qvB

Moreover, the strength of the magnetic field in the solenoid can be calculated using the equation:

B = μ0N/l * I

Where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, l is its length, and I is the current flowing through it.

By combining these equations, we can develop an equation to determine the force applied to the permanent magnet when the solenoid is energized. However, the exact equation will depend on the specific dimensions and properties of your solenoid and permanent magnet. I would recommend doing some further research and calculations to determine the appropriate values for your specific setup.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your research!

Related to Force Produced from a Magnet In a Solenoid

1. How is force produced from a magnet in a solenoid?

When an electric current is passed through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of a permanent magnet, causing a force to be produced between the two.

2. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a device that consists of a coil of wire with an electric current running through it. It is used to create a magnetic field and can be used in various applications, such as electromagnets and electric motors.

3. How does the strength of the magnet affect the force produced in a solenoid?

The strength of the permanent magnet will directly affect the force produced in a solenoid. A stronger magnet will create a stronger magnetic field, resulting in a greater force between the magnet and the solenoid.

4. Can the direction of the force be changed in a solenoid?

Yes, the direction of the force produced in a solenoid can be changed by either changing the direction of the electric current flowing through the solenoid or by reversing the polarity of the permanent magnet.

5. What are some real-world applications of force produced from a magnet in a solenoid?

Solenoids are used in a variety of devices, including speakers, door locks, and MRI machines. They are also used in industrial applications to control valves and in automotive systems for fuel injectors and starters.