Force Problem with crash test car

In summary, to calculate the size of the average force acting on the dummy during the crash test, one must first define the system and conceptualize the acceleration and timing of the crash. By using conservation of momentum and the relationship with impulse momentum, the force acting on the dummy can then be determined. It is helpful to start by listing the known information and the desired information to have a clear understanding of the problem.
am08
A set of crash tests consists of running a test car moving at a speed of 11.4 meters/sec (26 mph) into a solid wall. Strapped securely in an advanced seat belt system, a 59kg (130 lbs) dummy is found to move a distance of 0.66 meters from the moment the car touches the wall to the time the car is stopped. Calculate the size of the average force which acts on the dummy during that time.

Where do I start?

And how do I calculate average force?

Physics news on Phys.org
You start by reading up a bit on impulse of a force.

You are going to need to define your system first. Are you looking at the forces on the Dummy or Car. Then you have to conceptualize why is going on, which system is accellerating, and when is this occurring. Then use conservation of momentum and the relationship with impulse momentum. From there you should be able to find the force acting on the dummy.

This is how I would approach the problem.

well i always start out by listing what i know about the situation, and then list what i want to know. That way i have a clear mind of what I am looking for, do that first and then attempt to solve it

Related to Force Problem with crash test car

1. What is a "force problem" in the context of a crash test car?

A "force problem" refers to the calculation and analysis of the forces involved in a crash test, specifically in relation to the performance and safety of the car being tested. This includes measuring the impact force, deceleration, and other forces that act on the car and its occupants during a crash.

2. How is a crash test car designed to withstand high forces?

A crash test car is designed to withstand high forces by using materials and structures that can absorb and distribute the impact forces. This includes using materials with high strength and elasticity, such as steel and carbon fiber, and incorporating crumple zones and other safety features to dissipate the forces.

3. What role does Newton's Laws of Motion play in analyzing a force problem with a crash test car?

Newton's Laws of Motion are fundamental principles in physics that describe the behavior of objects in motion. In the context of a crash test car, these laws help us understand the relationship between the forces acting on the car and its resulting motion, allowing us to predict and analyze the effects of a crash.

4. How are computer simulations used to analyze force problems in crash test cars?

Computer simulations are used to analyze force problems in crash test cars by creating virtual models of the car and running simulations of different crash scenarios. This allows engineers to study the effects of various forces on the car and make adjustments to its design before conducting physical crash tests.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of studying force problems with crash test cars?

Studying force problems with crash test cars has numerous real-world applications, including improving the safety of cars and their occupants, designing more efficient and durable vehicles, and informing the development of safety regulations and standards for the automotive industry.