Force problem -- a painter is standing on a scaffold supported by ropes

• Thread starter member 508213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the weight of a scaffold that is being supported by ropes with a tension limit of 1700N. The student believes that the weight of the scaffold cannot exceed 400N based on the given information, but is unsure how to determine the exact weight. The teacher suggests that the student may have missed some key information and normal forces may be involved in the problem.
member 508213
This should be an easy problem but I heard my teacher ask it near the end of class as the bell rang and he said we would do this problem next class and what I heard was something like:

A painter weighs 1300N and is standing on a scaffold supported by ropes that can support 1700 N of tension. How much does the Scaffold weigh?

This is from memory so my apologies if something is worded wrong but this was essentially the questionNot really any relevant equations

I figured that the force of tension would be upwards and the force of gravity on the painter would be downwards but I feel like there is not enough information to determine the weight of the scaffold.. I think that the weight of the scaffold cannot exceed 400N or the ropes would break but I feel like the scaffold could weigh anything less.

To help with the context of this problem today in class we learned about normal forces so I would assume that is involved with this problem but I am having difficulty seeing how to determine the exact weight of the scaffold. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis seems correct. I would guess that you did not hear the entire problem. As stated, the scaffold can have any weight <400N.

Related to Force problem -- a painter is standing on a scaffold supported by ropes

What is force problem?

The force problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on an object. It is commonly used to determine the stability and equilibrium of a system.

How does a painter standing on a scaffold relate to force problem?

A painter standing on a scaffold supported by ropes is a common scenario used in force problems. The forces acting on the scaffold, ropes, and painter can be analyzed to determine the stability of the scaffold and the safety of the painter.

What are the forces acting on the scaffold in this scenario?

The forces acting on the scaffold may include the weight of the scaffold itself, the weight of the painter, the tension in the ropes, and any external forces such as wind or movement of the scaffold.

How do you calculate the forces in a force problem?

To calculate the forces in a force problem, you will need to use Newton's laws of motion and apply them to the specific scenario. This involves identifying all the forces acting on the object, determining their magnitudes and directions, and using equations to solve for the unknown forces.

What are some real-life applications of force problems?

Force problems are used in many real-life situations such as designing structures, analyzing the stability of objects, predicting the movement of objects in different environments, and determining the safety of activities involving forces such as rock climbing or construction work.