Force on Planet Moving in Interstellar Dust

In summary, the problem involves a spherical planet moving at a uniform speed through a cloud of interstellar dust particles. The dust particles are attracted to the planet and some would eventually fall onto its surface. The task is to find the retarding force on the planet due to the dust cloud. The solution involves using conservation of energy and angular momentum to find the radius of the circle swept out by the planet, where it would consume all the dust. However, there may be an error in the rate at which the dust flows into the planet. The assumption is made that the initial and final speeds of the planet can be assumed to be the same, although this may not be entirely accurate.
BigD

Homework Statement

A uniform, spherical planet of mass M and radius R moves SLOWLY with an essentially uniform speed v through a cloud of interstellar dust particles, whose density is ρ. The dust particles are attracted towards the planet, and some of them would eventually fall onto its surface.

Find the resulting retarding force on the planet due to the dust cloud.
Since the planet moves slowly, initial speed and final speed can be assumed to be the same.

Homework Equations

Angular momentum => Li = Lf
Momentum => Pi = Pf
Energy including
Potential energy = -GMm/R
Kinetic Energy = 1/2 (mv2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the planet would consume all the dust within a circular cross section. By using conservation of energy and angular momentum, I got the radius of this circle to be

R' = (R^2 + 2RGM/v^2)^1/2

Then I used

dm = ρAdx = ρ(πR'^2)dx

to get

F = dp/dt = (dm/dt)v = ρπR^2(v^2 + 2GM/R).

I was told this wasn't right. Can someone give me a hint as to what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you put the planet in orbit? Per the problem statement it is moving with an "essentially uniform velocity". No mention of an orbit.

D H said:
Why did you put the planet in orbit? Per the problem statement it is moving with an "essentially uniform velocity". No mention of an orbit.

I didn't.

The circle I mentioned was not an orbit; it was the cross section swept out by the planet.

I could really use some help on this.

A couple of questions.

1. How did you derive that R' = (R^2 + 2RGM/v^2)^1/2 ?

2. Are you sure that the statement 'initial speed and final speed can be assumed to be the same.' is correct? This doesn't make a bit of sense. It means that momentum is not conserved. Better would be to assume that the initial and final speeds are approximately the same. (In other words, you can ignore second-order effects.)

D H said:
A couple of questions.

1. How did you derive that R' = (R^2 + 2RGM/v^2)^1/2 ?

2. Are you sure that the statement 'initial speed and final speed can be assumed to be the same.' is correct? This doesn't make a bit of sense. It means that momentum is not conserved. Better would be to assume that the initial and final speeds are approximately the same. (In other words, you can ignore second-order effects.)

1. I started by changing the frame of reference to the planets center of mass so that the dust moves at speed v. I assumed that at some perpendicular distance R' from the trajectory of the planet the dust particles would just barely miss the planet and that they would pass at the radius of the planet R with some velocity v' perpendicular to the radius vector. I used conservation of energy and angular momentum to solve for R' in

Rv' = R'v
(1/2)v^2 = (1/2)v'^2 - GM/R

I think this part of the problem is right because I got the same result from another method. I'm guessing I did something wrong in the rate at which the dust flows into the planet.

2. I'm sure that it's right. I assume it means that the force that we want to find is negligable compared with the planet's momentum.

Related to Force on Planet Moving in Interstellar Dust

1. What is the force exerted on a planet moving through interstellar dust?

The force exerted on a planet moving through interstellar dust is known as the drag force. This force is caused by the collisions between the dust particles and the planet's surface as it moves through the dust cloud.

2. How does the force on a planet moving through interstellar dust affect its trajectory?

The drag force caused by the interstellar dust can slow down the planet's movement and alter its trajectory. This can lead to changes in the planet's orbit or even cause it to spiral towards the source of the dust cloud.

3. Can the force on a planet in interstellar dust be calculated?

Yes, the force on a planet can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the density and velocity of the dust particles as well as the surface area of the planet. However, the exact calculation can be difficult due to the complex nature of interstellar dust clouds.

4. Does the force on a planet in interstellar dust vary depending on its size?

Yes, the force on a planet can vary depending on its size and surface area. A larger planet will experience a greater drag force as it has a larger surface area for the dust particles to collide with.

5. Can the force on a planet in interstellar dust cause damage?

It is unlikely that the force on a planet moving through interstellar dust would cause any damage, as the dust particles are typically very small and the force is spread out over the planet's surface. However, if the dust cloud is particularly dense, it could potentially cause erosion on the planet's surface over a long period of time.