Force on pedals; cyclist up incline

In summary, the problem involves calculating the work done against gravity by a cyclist cycling up a 14-degree inclined hill with a vertical height of 120 m, assuming the mass of the bicycle plus person is 75 kg. The first part of the problem results in a work of 88200 J. In the second part, the cyclist must calculate the average force exerted on the pedals tangent to their circular path, given that a complete revolution of the pedals moves the bike 5.10 m along its path and the pedals turn in a circle of diameter 36 cm. The solution involves using the work-energy theorem and recognizing that there is no tangential acceleration as the bike rolls with constant speed. The force applied on the pedals can be
usamo42j

Homework Statement

A cyclist intends to cycle up a 14-degree inclined hill whose vertical height is 120 m. Assuming the mass of bicycle plus person is 75 kg

a) Calculate how much work is done against gravity

b) A complete revolution of the pedals moves the bike 5.10 m along its path. Calculate the average force that must be exerted on the pedals tangent to their circular path. Neglect work done by friction and other losses. The pedals turn in a circle of diameter 36 cm.

Homework Equations

I assume work-energy theorem... and maybe centripetal acceleration/force formulae
(W_net=1/2*m*v_2^2-1/2*m*v_1^2)
(a_c=v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part wasn't too bad: I got 88200 J.

Second part; I tried using a_tangential = Δv/Δt, but I can't get the time. I'm not sure how to use the radius and the fact that each revolution brings bike 5.10 m forward; I suspect centripetal acceleration formula is somehow involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
usamo42j said:
Second part; I tried using a_tangential = Δv/Δt, but I can't get the time. I'm not sure how to use the radius and the fact that each revolution brings bike 5.10 m forward; I suspect centripetal acceleration formula is somehow involved.

You can calculate with average force and constant speed, although the force exerted on the pedals vary during a revolution.
As the bike rolls with constant speed the pedals move with constant angular speed - there is no tangential acceleration.

To get the force applied on the pedals, apply the work-energy theorem again. The bike moves with constant velocity, so the work of gravity + work of the cyclist = 0.
The cyclist exerts force on the pedals along the tangent of the circle of radius 36 cm, and drives the wheel of radius R. The bike rolls. Rolling means that the bike travels a distance equal to the circumference of the circle during one revolution of the wheel. What is the angle between the tangential force and a very small displacement along the arc of a circle? So what is the work of a tangent force when the pedals turn round?

ehild

Related to Force on pedals; cyclist up incline

What is the force on the pedals when a cyclist is going up an incline?

The force on the pedals when a cyclist is going up an incline is the combination of their own applied force and the force of gravity pulling them down the incline.

Does the force on the pedals change as the cyclist goes up the incline?

Yes, the force on the pedals will change as the cyclist goes up the incline. As the incline gets steeper, the force of gravity will increase, requiring the cyclist to apply more force to the pedals to maintain their speed.

What factors affect the force on the pedals when cycling up an incline?

The force on the pedals when cycling up an incline is affected by the cyclist's weight, the incline angle, and the type of bike and gears being used. These factors all contribute to the overall force needed to overcome the incline.

How does the force on the pedals affect the cyclist's speed when going up an incline?

The force on the pedals directly affects the cyclist's speed when going up an incline. The more force they apply, the faster they will be able to go. However, as the incline gets steeper, it may become more difficult to maintain a high speed due to the increased force needed to overcome the incline.

Can the force on the pedals be measured when cycling up an incline?

Yes, the force on the pedals can be measured using specialized equipment such as a power meter. This equipment measures the force applied by the cyclist and can provide valuable data on their performance and efficiency while cycling up an incline.