Force on an object placed on an incline

In summary, the given problem is asking to find the magnitude of a horizontal force needed to hold a 80.0 kg ice block stationary on a frictionless ramp at an angle of 36.9 degrees. Using the equations F = mgsinθ and F = mgcosθ, the solution can be obtained by setting the horizontal component of the weight force equal to the horizontal force. The resulting equation is Fcosθ = mgsinθ, which can be rearranged to F = mgsinθ/cosθ. This approach is based on splitting the forces into perpendicular and parallel components using trigonometry. The horizontal force can be found to be 588.6 N.
reigner617
The Question: An ice block of mass M=80.0 kg is held stationary on a frictionless ramp. The ramp is at an angle of 36.9 degrees above the horizontal. If the block is held in place by a horizontal force directed horizontally toward the center of the block, find the magnitude of this force.

Related Equations: F = mgsinθ, F = mgcosθ

The Solution: Our professor solved it as follows:
Fcosθ = mgsinθ
F= mgsinθ/cosθ
= 470.7/ cos 36.9
= 588.6 NMy only confusion is to why he took this approach. I understand that when the force is tangential, we use mgsinθ; when the force is perpendicular, we use mgcosθ, but there doesn't seem to be a "formal" formula for a horizontal force

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-20_19-55-31.png
    upload_2014-9-20_19-55-31.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 559
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi reigner617

Perhaps it'd be easier to see if you stopped thinking in terms of "formal formulas" and instead tried to draw a free body diagram and split the two forces in play(the horizontal F and the vertical weight) into component forces parallel and perpendicular to the incline.
As long as you're ok with trigonometry, you should see where all the sines and cosines come from.

I drew a diagram with mg directly perpendicular to the ground and the horizontal force parallel to the ground. I understand how mgsinθ and mgcosθ are derived, but I'm still having trouble understanding as to why F horizontal would equal mgsinθ/cosθ.

reigner617 said:
I drew a diagram with mg directly perpendicular to the ground and the horizontal force parallel to the ground. I understand how mgsinθ and mgcosθ are derived, but I'm still having trouble understanding as to why F horizontal would equal mgsinθ/cosθ.

I have made a figure for you.From this figure can you resolve 'F' on the green line.
Now if the blocks are stationary then what should be the net force acting on the block.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-20_19-55-31.png
    upload_2014-9-20_19-55-31.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 566
I figured out what was drawn on the diagram. To answer your question, the net force has to be zero, but I just don't understand where cosθ came from. I apologize if I sound really dense right now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something very basic, but whatever that is i can't quite figure out.

I labeled the green line as f for friction. With that said, i could say cosθ = f/F or f=Fcosθ. I'm assuming f= mgsinθ and from that came the answer; however, taking friction into account does not seem right because the problem says that it is a "frictionless" ramp, so I understood that to be f=0 (or negligible).

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-21_0-53-56.png
    upload_2014-9-21_0-53-56.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 557
reigner617 said:
I labeled the green line as f for friction. With that said, i could say cosθ = f/F or f=Fcosθ. I'm assuming f= mgsinθ and from that came the answer; however, taking friction into account does not seem right because the problem says that it is a "frictionless" ramp, so I understood that to be f=0 (or negligible).

You need to find the component of 'F' along the green line.For doing this you need to draw a line passing from the head of vector 'F' perpendicular to the green line.
Please look at the diagram.
Can you now find projection of 'F' on the green line?

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-21_0-53-56.png
    upload_2014-9-21_0-53-56.png
    11 KB · Views: 672
Satvik, upload your picture with the image button so people can see it immediately.

ehild

upload_2014-9-21_0-53-56-png.73384.png

ehild said:
Satvik, upload your picture with the image button so people can see it immediately.

ehild

upload_2014-9-21_0-53-56-png.73384.png
Thanks ehild next time I will use that button.:D

So using f for friction is correct? And if I do that and use cosθ, I get cosθ=f/F or Fcosθ=f. Am I supposed to assume that f=mgsinθ? This doesn't seem right because the ramp is frictionless...

There is no friction. f is just a component of the force F parallel to the incline(the only one that matters here).

How well do you know you trigonometry? If you drew a right triangle ABC with right angle at vertex B and angle alpha at vertex A, would you be able to represent relationships between the lengths of the sides using trig functions of angle alpha? This is all that's going on here.

reigner617 said:
So using f for friction is correct? And if I do that and use cosθ, I get cosθ=f/F or Fcosθ=f. Am I supposed to assume that f=mgsinθ? This doesn't seem right because the ramp is frictionless...

There is no frictional force in this question.The component of force(mg) along the incline(mgsinθ) is balanced by the component of force along the incline(Fcosθ).
So your equation becomes

mgsinθ=Fcosθ.
Find 'F' from this equation.

Related to Force on an object placed on an incline

1. What is the force acting on an object placed on an incline?

The force acting on an object placed on an incline is known as the gravitational force, which is the force of Earth's gravity pulling the object towards its center. This force is always directed towards the center of the Earth.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the force on an object?

The angle of the incline affects the force on an object by changing the component of the gravitational force acting on the object. As the angle of the incline increases, the component of the gravitational force acting in the direction of the incline decreases, resulting in a smaller force on the object.

3. What other forces may be acting on an object placed on an incline?

Aside from the gravitational force, other forces that may be acting on an object placed on an incline include frictional force, normal force, and any applied forces. Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of the object and is dependent on the surface and the weight of the object. The normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object, perpendicular to the surface. Any applied forces, such as pushing or pulling, will also affect the motion of the object.

4. How can the force on an object placed on an incline be calculated?

The force on an object placed on an incline can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline. This formula takes into account the component of the gravitational force acting on the object.

5. Is the force on an object placed on an incline always constant?

The force on an object placed on an incline is not always constant. As the object moves up or down the incline, the angle and therefore the force acting on it will change. Additionally, the presence of frictional force and any applied forces can also cause the force on the object to vary.