Force on air column in a solar updraft tower

In summary, the total force on the air column in a solar tower can be compared by calculating the pressure at its bottom and top, or by using Archimedes' Law. The force can be expressed as F = g * A * h * (ρ2 - ρ1), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, A is the area of the tower, h is the height of the tower, and (ρ2 - ρ1) is the difference in air density between the top and bottom of the tower. The ideal gas law can also be used to calculate the pressure, taking into account the temperature difference between the top and bottom of the tower. However, this method may not be accurate for extremely large or small tower
Anoonumos

Homework Statement

For a solar tower compare the total force on the air column in the tower
(i) by calculating the pressure at its bottom and top
(ii) from Archimedes’ Law.
Hint: there is a temperature
difference between top and bottom of the tower.

I have to estimate height, temperature difference and such.

The Attempt at a Solution

According to Archimedes' law the force is just
F = g * A * h * (ρ2 - ρ1)
with g = 9.81 N/kg, A the area of the tower, h the height of the tower and (ρ2 - ρ1) the difference in air density between top and bottom. (ρ2 - ρ1) can be calculated with the temperature difference.

I don't know how I should calculate the pressure directly. I can only think of using the ideal gas law, but I'm not sure how that would work in this situation.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anoonumos said:
According to Archimedes' law the force is just
F = g * A * h * (ρ2 - ρ1)
with g = 9.81 N/kg, A the area of the tower, h the height of the tower and (ρ2 - ρ1) the difference in air density between top and bottom. (ρ2 - ρ1) can be calculated with the temperature difference.
This cannot work. It would give a force which increases quadratically for small tower heights (where the total mass and therefore the total force just increases linearly), and it diverges for extremely large tower heights (where you just keep adding empty space to the volume).

Archimedes' law would give you the net force (relative to air outside), if ρ2 and ρ1 would be the average density inside/outside.

I can only think of using the ideal gas law, but I'm not sure how that would work in this situation.
Assume some values for air pressure and temperature at the bottom (or at the top), calculate the other values with the ideal gas law and momentum conservation (the air inside does not accelerate and I think you should neglect wind/friction).

Related to Force on air column in a solar updraft tower

1. What is a solar updraft tower?

A solar updraft tower is a type of renewable energy technology that uses the sun's heat and wind to generate electricity. It consists of a tall tower with a large air collector at the base, which heats up the air and creates an updraft. This updraft drives turbines at the top of the tower, generating electricity.

2. How does the force on the air column in a solar updraft tower work?

The force on the air column in a solar updraft tower is created by the temperature difference between the air inside the tower and the surrounding air. As the air in the tower heats up, it becomes less dense and rises, creating an updraft. This updraft creates a force on the air column, which can then be harnessed to generate electricity.

3. What factors affect the force on the air column in a solar updraft tower?

The force on the air column in a solar updraft tower is affected by several factors, including the size and height of the tower, the temperature difference between the air inside and outside the tower, and the wind speed. The design and materials used in the construction of the tower can also impact the force on the air column.

4. What are the potential benefits of using a solar updraft tower?

There are several potential benefits to using a solar updraft tower, including its renewable energy source, low environmental impact, and ability to operate without fuel or water. Additionally, the tower can be built in remote areas, providing electricity to off-grid communities and reducing the need for long-distance power transmission.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using a solar updraft tower?

While solar updraft towers have many potential benefits, there are also some limitations and challenges associated with their use. These include the high initial cost of construction, the need for large land areas, and the potential for reduced efficiency on cloudy days. Additionally, the technology is still relatively new and may require further development and optimization.