Force on a long straight wire help

• Thread starter Lost4468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Wire
In summary, the middle wire in this arrangement has an effect on the forces between the other wires, causing them to amplify.
Lost4468
I'm not sure about the force 3 wires have, here's the question.

9jDq5.png

The question is:

"Calculate the force per unit length experienced by the middle wire in the arrangement shown."

The thing is I've an overall force of 0 because I1 and I3 are in different directions each producing a force of 0.15Nm^-1. Surely that's wrong? I think the middle wire somehow has an effect but I don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lost4468 said:
I'm not sure about the force 3 wires have, here's the question.

The question is:

"Calculate the force per unit length experienced by the middle wire in the arrangement shown."

The thing is I've an overall force of 0 because I1 and I3 are in different directions each producing a force of 0.15Nm^-1. Surely that's wrong? I think the middle wire somehow has an effect but I don't know how.

Lost, welcome to PF! :smile:

If 2 wires have currents in the same direction, they repel each other (with an equal but opposite force).
If 2 wires have currents in opposite directions, they attract each other.

So they do not cancel - they amplify each other (on the wire in the middle).

However, I get a different value for the force than what you have.
How did you calculate it?
Which formula did you use?

I like Serena said:
Lost, welcome to PF! :smile:

If 2 wires have currents in the same direction, they repel each other (with an equal but opposite force).
If 2 wires have currents in opposite directions, they attract each other.

So they do not cancel - they amplify each other (on the wire in the middle).

However, I get a different value for the force than what you have.
How did you calculate it?
Which formula did you use?

Nevermind I had the calculation wrong, I found an old mark scheme for it and it says that there's no overall force on the middle wire. Thanks.

Last edited:
Lost4468 said:
Nevermind I had the calculation wrong, I found an old mark scheme for it and it says that there's no overall force on the middle wire. Thanks.

Weird, since I believe there is an overall force on the middle wire.

they ( any induced currents from the 2 outer wires) would only cancel in the middle wire if there was no initial current flowing in the middle wire.

I have to assume from the diagram that the 2A flowing in the middle wire is a pre-existing current, so as you say there would be an overall force in the middle wire

cuz the induced current flow from external sources would cancel because they are equal and opposite and leave just the initial 2A flowing in the middle wire?

does that sound right ?

Dave

Related to Force on a long straight wire help

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a long straight wire?

The formula for calculating the force on a long straight wire is F = (μ₀I₁I₂)/2πr, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I₁ and I₂ are the currents in the wire, and r is the distance between the two wires.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the force on a long straight wire?

The direction of the current affects the direction of the force on a long straight wire. If the currents are in the same direction, the force will be attractive. If the currents are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the force on a long straight wire?

The unit of measurement for the force on a long straight wire is newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the force on a long straight wire?

The force on a long straight wire is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the force on a long straight wire be negative?

Yes, the force on a long straight wire can be negative. This occurs when the currents in the wires are in opposite directions, resulting in a repulsive force.