Force of the average car crash

In summary, the force of an average car crash can be extremely powerful and destructive. It depends on various factors such as the speed, weight, and direction of the vehicles involved. The force of impact can cause severe injuries and even death, making it crucial for drivers to follow traffic laws and safety precautions to minimize the risk of accidents and reduce the force of impact.
Da Apprentice
I was wondering is there any research that has been done into the typical amount of force generated duing a car crash. Eg, when the car hits a wall for example does anyone know the average force needed to stop it? thoght it'd be interesting to know since I'm doing similar research on this topic in Physics at the moment.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Da Apprentice said:
I was wondering is there any research that has been done into the typical amount of force generated duing a car crash. Eg, when the car hits a wall for example does anyone know the average force needed to stop it? thoght it'd be interesting to know since I'm doing similar research on this topic in Physics at the moment.

Thanks,
The http://hypertextbook.com/facts/index-topics.shtml" is a good site for such things. The information is usually well referenced. A quick search, though, does not show data on forces in car crashes. A more thorough search might.

I think the Myth Busters did something on this. Not the level of rigo you probably want, but it might provide a lead...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah searched all through there... got nothing... can someone please tell me how much 500,000N is equivalent to... Is this a large Force?

Yes, that's a fairly large amount of force (a bit over a hundred thousand pounds). If all you're looking for is the average force, simply look at how far the car's center of mass traveled after impact. From that, you can determine acceleration, and thus determine force.

For a 4 m long car of mass 1200 kg moving at 30 m/s, the kinetic energy is
.5mv2 = 540000 Joules

If we use cjl's approximation and take the center of mass at the center of the car, the work needed to stop the car is
FD = F(2m) = 540000 Joules
F = 270000 Newtons

I suspect the center of mass is farther forward (given the mass of the engine block) so the 500000N figure looks realistic.

I am surprised by that magnitude.

I like to look at this in terms of impulse, i.e., change in momentum.

If you know the mass (m) and the speed (v) of the car initially, and we assume that the car comes to a stop after the crash, the total impulse delivered to the car is m*v.

If you want to know the average force applied to the car during the crash, divide the impulse by the duration of the crash.

To find the peak force, you will need to have a curve for the relative change of the force over time during the crash. If you scale this curve so that its integral is the impulse then the peak of the curve is the peak force.

Cheers,
Chris

Related to Force of the average car crash

What is the force of an average car crash?

The force of an average car crash can vary depending on several factors such as the speed of the vehicles involved, the weight of the vehicles, and the angle of impact. However, studies have shown that the average force of a car crash is around 30 times the force of gravity or 30 Gs.

How does the force of a car crash affect the human body?

The force of a car crash can have a significant impact on the human body. It can cause injuries such as whiplash, broken bones, and even internal damage. The force can also cause the body to accelerate and decelerate quickly, leading to serious injuries or death.

Can the force of a car crash be reduced?

Yes, the force of a car crash can be reduced through various safety measures. These include wearing seatbelts, having airbags in the vehicle, and using safety features such as crumple zones and reinforced frames. These safety measures are designed to absorb some of the force and protect the passengers inside the vehicle.

What is the relationship between force and mass in a car crash?

In a car crash, the force is directly related to the mass of the vehicles involved. The greater the mass, the greater the force of the impact. This is why larger and heavier vehicles tend to cause more damage in accidents compared to smaller and lighter vehicles.

How does the force of a car crash compare to other types of impacts?

The force of a car crash can vary greatly depending on the specific circumstances. However, it is generally considered to be a high-impact event. Compared to other types of impacts, such as falling from a height or being hit by a heavy object, the force of a car crash can be equally or even more damaging to the human body.