Force of gravity involving astrology

In summary: Fg= g ( 4.50 kg)(100.0 kg)/0.5m^2 =Fg= (6.67E-11 N*m2/kg2)( 4.50 kg)(100.00 kg)/0.5m^2 ehildIn summary, the force of gravity between a newborn baby and the planet Mars is 6.67E-11 Newtons. The force between an obstetrician and the baby is -1.32E4 Newtons.
problemswithp

Homework Statement

People who believe in astrology think the positions of the planets at the time of birth have a large effect on the personality and destiny of the baby. The only known interaction between a planet and the baby is the force of gravity.

Calculate the force of gravity (in Newtons) between a newborn baby (mass = 4.5 kg) and the planet Mars (mass = 6.4 X 1023 kg), when Mars is at its closest to the Earth (distance = 5.6 X 1010 m).

Calculate the force of gravity (in Newtons) between a newborn baby of mass 4.5 kg and the obstetrician of mass 100 kg, who is 0.5 m from the baby.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg= g ( 4.50 kg)(100.0 kg)/0.5m^2 =Fg= (6.67 E -11 N*m2/kg2)( 4.50 kg)(100.00 kg)/0.5m^2

I arrive at -1.32E4 but it gives me incorrect answer. I am completely lost with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get a negative result by multiplying positive numbers?

ehild

Welcome to PF,

problemswithp said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg= g ( 4.50 kg)(100.0 kg)/0.5m^2 =Fg= (6.67 E -11 N*m2/kg2)( 4.50 kg)(100.00 kg)/0.5m^2

I arrive at -1.32E4 but it gives me incorrect answer. I am completely lost with this problem.

Your method is fine. The physics of this problem is simple. Newton's law of gravitation tells you the gravitational force between any two masses given their separation. So, use that to compute the force. You're doing it right, in other words.

Since your physics is fine, the trouble must be with your math. If you got the wrong answer using the right equation, then you must have made an arithmetic error. I'm assuming that you just used a calculator, so short of punching in the wrong thing, I don't know what could have gone wrong. Maybe you could describe what you did to compute the answer...

I get a negative number by multiplying 6.67E-11 by the masses of the objects, I am not confortable with my calculator and I have probably gone wrong in the calculation, however I try repeatedly and any positive answers I get are incorrect...

problemswithp said:
I get a negative number by multiplying 6.67E-11 by the masses of the objects, I am not confortable with my calculator and I have probably gone wrong in the calculation, however I try repeatedly and any positive answers I get are incorrect...

Different calculators use different keys for the magnitudes (power of 10). In the calculator supplied for my Windows XP, it is the key "EXP". It can be also "EE". E-11 means 10-11. Calculate the value without 10-11 and then multiply the result with it.

ehild

problemswithp said:
As a check, you can do the calculation without the "e-11" or any other exponents. Then apply the exponents to the value you calculate, to get a final answer.

Related to Force of gravity involving astrology

1. How does the force of gravity affect astrology?

The force of gravity is an important concept in astrology as it is believed to influence the movements of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, which in turn affect an individual's personality and destiny.

2. Does the force of gravity have an impact on horoscopes?

Yes, the force of gravity plays a crucial role in determining the positions of planets and stars in relation to each other, which is used to create horoscopes and make astrological predictions.

3. Can astrology predict the force of gravity?

No, astrology is not a scientific method and cannot accurately predict the force of gravity or any other physical phenomenon. It is based on ancient beliefs and interpretations rather than empirical evidence.

4. Is there a connection between the force of gravity and zodiac signs?

There is no scientific evidence to support a direct connection between the force of gravity and zodiac signs. However, astrologers believe that the positions of celestial bodies, influenced by the force of gravity, can have an impact on an individual's personality and traits.

5. Can the force of gravity influence human behavior according to astrology?

Many astrologers believe that the force of gravity, through its effects on celestial bodies, can have an influence on human behavior and personality traits. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.