Force of Friction on an Inclined Plane

In summary, a 5kg block of lead is released from rest at the top of a 10m incline with an angle of 40°. It has a speed of 6 m/s at the bottom. Its potential energy at the top is 315.07J and its kinetic energy at the bottom is 90J. The work done by friction is 225J, which is the difference between the initial potential energy and the final total energy. The coefficient of friction can be found using the equation Ffr=mu*Fn.
mmalone11

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a 5kg block of lead released from rest at the top of an incline. The block has a speed of 6 m/s when it reaches the bottom. The angle between the slope and the ground is 40° and the slope is 10 m long.
a) What is its PE at the top?
b) What is its KE at the bottom?
c) What is the work done by friction?
d) What must be the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

I am having trouble finding the friction. Once i find the friction, i know how to find the coefficient force of friciton using Ffr=mu*Fn.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a first I found what the height was by doing 10(sin(40))=Height and got 6.43 m. Than i plugged that into PE=mgh... 5(9.8)(6.43) ... getting 315.07J ...
For part b I used KE=1/2(m)(v2) ... 1/2(5)(62) ... getting 90J ...

Physics news on Phys.org
So you start with with 315 J of potential energy and zero kinetic energy. How much total energy would you have at the bottom of the incline if there were no friction?

Last edited:
Would that still be 315 J?

Correct. With friction you only have 90 J. Where did the rest of the Joules go?

Heat is the only thing i could think of? But how do you know 90 J went to friction

I never said 90 J went to friction. At the bottom of the incline, you have 90 J. This means that 315-90 = 225 J went somewhere. As you say it is heat and this heat is generated by friction. So the block traveled 10 m and lost 225 J to friction. How can you use this information to find the work done by friction?

Well i know Work=Fd but I am not sure how to incorporate the joules..

The units of both work and energy are Joules.

so just divide by 10?

Divide by 10 to get the answer to what part?

Related to Force of Friction on an Inclined Plane

1. What is the force of friction on an inclined plane?

The force of friction on an inclined plane is the resistance that an object experiences when it is in motion or attempting to move along the surface of the inclined plane. This resistance is caused by the interaction between the object and the surface, which results in a force that opposes the motion of the object.

2. How is the force of friction on an inclined plane calculated?

The force of friction on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula: Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by the inclined plane on the object, which is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the cosine of the angle of incline.

3. What factors affect the force of friction on an inclined plane?

The force of friction on an inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, and the angle of incline. Other factors that may influence the force of friction include the roughness of the surface and the presence of any external forces acting on the object.

4. How does the force of friction on an inclined plane impact the motion of an object?

The force of friction on an inclined plane can either increase or decrease the speed of an object depending on the direction of motion. If the object is moving up the incline, the force of friction will act in the opposite direction and slow down the object. On the other hand, if the object is moving down the incline, the force of friction will act in the same direction and increase the speed of the object.

5. How can the force of friction on an inclined plane be reduced?

The force of friction on an inclined plane can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of friction or by decreasing the angle of incline. Using a smoother surface or lubricating the surface can also help reduce the force of friction. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object can also decrease the force of friction.