Force of friction. Non conservation of energy

In summary, a 15 kg child slides down a playground slide that is 4.0 m long and at a 40 degree angle with the horizontal. The child's speed at the bottom is 3.2 m/s. Using the equation Wnc = Ef - Ei, we can calculate the work done by friction to be 76.8 J. Then, using the equation W = fdcostheta, we can solve for the force of friction to be 14.7 N. The textbook's answer of 75N may be incorrect, so it is important to double check calculations.
anna sung

Homework Statement

A 15 kg child slides, from rest, down a playground slide tht is 4.0 m long, as shown in the figure. The slide makes a 40 degrees angle with the horizontal. The child's speed at the bottom is 3.2 m/s. What was teh force of friction that the sldie was exerting on the child?

Ok. The answer in the texbook says 75N.

Homework Equations

Wnc=Efinal-Einitial

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my WROng attempt

work=Kinetic Energy 2 - Kinetic Energy 1
work = 1/2 m (V2squared - v1squared)
w=1/2 (15 kg) (3.2 m/s squared - 0)
w=7.5 (10.24 m/s)
w=76.8 J

then I..

Work=force (distance) (cos40)
f= w/d (cos 40)
f=76.8 J / 4.0 (cos 40)
f=14.7 N
could you please actually plug in the numbers and show me how to get to the answer?
rather than giving just the steps? please thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
We can assist you in your attempt to get the answer, but we don't provide the answer.
The goal is for you to provide the answer, based on assistance by others.

anna sung said:

Homework Statement

A 15 kg child slides, from rest, down a playground slide tht is 4.0 m long, as shown in the figure. The slide makes a 40 degrees angle with the horizontal. The child's speed at the bottom is 3.2 m/s. What was teh force of friction that the sldie was exerting on the child?

Ok. The answer in the texbook says 75N.

Homework Equations

Wnc=Efinal-Einitial
You have to define what you mean by Einitial and Efinal. Einitial and Efinal each include both kinetic and potential energies.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my WROng attempt

work=Kinetic Energy 2 - Kinetic Energy 1
Again , be careful with this equation in the definition of 'Work". This equation is for total (or also called 'net') work, where total work includes the work done by both conservative and non-conservative forces.
then I..

Work=force (distance) (cos40)
When you are trying to find the force of friction based on the work done by friction, you should note that since the friction force and displacement are along the same axis, then theta is not 40 degree in the W =(f)(d)(cos theta) equation.
could you please actually plug in the numbers and show me how to get to the answer?
rather than giving just the steps? please thank you!
Please try again using the 'Wnc = Ef -Ei' equation you tried above, but make the correction for the Ef and Ei terms.
Once you get the correct Wnc value, where Wnc is the work done by friction in this case, then use the correct W =fdcostheta equation to solve for the friction force.

Related to Force of friction. Non conservation of energy

What is force of friction?

Force of friction is the resistance force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with a surface.

How is force of friction related to non-conservation of energy?

Force of friction is a non-conservative force, meaning that it dissipates energy as heat and does not conserve the total mechanical energy of a system.

What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the normal force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces.

Why is non-conservation of energy important in understanding the force of friction?

Non-conservation of energy helps to explain why an object in motion will eventually come to a stop due to the force of friction dissipating its kinetic energy.

How can we reduce the force of friction?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact, or by using smoother surfaces that have less resistance to motion.