Force of Friction: 0.5kg Ball & 0.381m Net

In summary: Maybe he can help?In summary, the ball exits the net going straight down at a velocity of just 0.600 m/s. The force of friction between the net and the ball is 9.0 N provided that the net contacts the ball throughout a length of 0.381 meters.
Mango12
Suppose that the ball exits the net going straight down at a velocity of just 0.600 m/s. What is the force of friction between the net and the ball, provided that the net contacts the ball throughout a length of 0.381 meters? The mass of the ball is 0.5kg. (The approximate answer is 9.0N)

I know I have to use the work-KE theorem, and that w= the change in KE, but I really have no idea what to do. If it helps, the ball enters the hoop at 4.5m/s.

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
Suppose that the ball exits the net going straight down at a velocity of just 0.600 m/s. What is the force of friction between the net and the ball, provided that the net contacts the ball throughout a length of 0.381 meters? The mass of the ball is 0.5kg. (The approximate answer is 9.0N)

I know I have to use the work-KE theorem, and that w= the change in KE, but I really have no idea what to do. If it helps, the ball enters the hoop at 4.5m/s.

Thank you!

Hi Mango12! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

This is indeed about the work-KE theorem.
The kinetic energy before has to be equal to the work applied by friction plus the kinetic energy after.
That is:
$$KE_{before}=W_{friction} + KE_{after}$$
$$\frac 12 m v_{before}^2 =F_{friction} \cdot s_{friction}+ \frac 12 m v_{after}^2$$
Can you perhaps fill in the numbers and solve for $F_{friction}$? (Wondering)

1/2mv^2before = .5*.5*4.5^2=5.06

1/2mv^2after = .5*.5*.6^2=0.09

But that's the only thing I know :/

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:

The kinetic energy before has to be equal to the work applied by friction plus the kinetic energy after.
That is:
$$\frac 12 m v_{before}^2 =F_{friction} \cdot s_{friction}+ \frac 12 m v_{after}^2$$

I know...

Mango12 said:

So we have:
$$5.06 = F_{friction} \cdot 0.381 + 0.09$$
What will $F_{friction}$ be?

Note that the work by friction is given by the force of friction times the distance that the force is active.
Or put simply: work = force times distance.

I like Serena said:
So we have:
$$5.06 = F_{friction} \cdot 0.381 + 0.09$$
What will $F_{friction}$ be?

Note that the work by friction is given by the force of friction times the distance that the force is active.
Or put simply: work = force times distance.

4.97/.381=13

Mango12 said:
4.97/.381=13

So then what do I do now? Because I got close to 13 when I tried it on my own but the answer is supposed to be close to 9

I think we must also account for the change in gravitational potential energy, and when I do, I get a rounded answer that is twice what you give as the intended answer of 9.0 N.

Mango12 said:
4.97/.381=13
I'm going to interrupt the conversation for a moment.

You are doing Physics here. Use units! It's 4.97 N / 0.381 = 13 N.

-Dan

topsquark said:
I'm going to interrupt the conversation for a moment.

You are doing Physics here. Use units! It's 4.97 N / 0.381 = 13 N.

-Dan

Wouldn't it actually be:

4.97 J / 0.381 m = 13 N

? :p

MarkFL said:
Wouldn't it actually be:

4.97 J / 0.381 m = 13 N

? :p
Heh. Just the kind of confusion I was talking about! (Nod)

-Dan

topsquark said:
Heh. Just the kind of confusion I was talking about! (Nod)

-Dan
Right, units are always important. But is all the math right? Because the answer is supposed to be close to 9N. 13 isn't terribly far off, but I'm never very confident when it comes to math.

Mango12 said:
Right, units are always important. But is all the math right? Because the answer is supposed to be close to 9N. 13 isn't terribly far off, but I'm never very confident when it comes to math.

As Mark already mentioned, we should also account for gravity (potential energy).
That is:
$$
KE_{before} + PE_{before} = W_{friction} + KE_{after} + PE_{after}
$$
where $PE_{before} - PE_{after} = mg\Delta h$ and $W_{friction} = F_{friction}\Delta h$.

Either way, the force of friction will not come out as $9\text{ N}$.
If that is supposed to be the answer, I think there is some mistake in the given data.
Perhaps speed and kinetic energy were mixed up or some such?

I like Serena said:
As Mark already mentioned, we should also account for gravity (potential energy).
That is:
$$
$$
where $PE_{before} - PE_{after} = mg\Delta h$ and $W_{friction} = F_{friction}\Delta h$.

If that is supposed to be the answer, I think there is some mistake in the given data.

I don't know. I just emailed my teacher asking him about it

I like Serena said:

That is:

Okay..so my teacher made a mistake. The correct answer should be about -17N

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
That is:
$$
$$

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
I think we must also account for the change in gravitational potential energy, and when I do, I get a rounded answer that is twice what you give as the intended answer of 9.0 N.

I like Serena said:

That is:

My teacher made a mistake. The ball actually enters the hoop at 6.42m/s and the answer should be 17N

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:

My teacher made a mistake. The ball actually enters the hoop at 6.42m/s and the answer should be 17N

Mango12 said:
...My teacher made a mistake. The ball actually enters the hoop at 6.42m/s and the answer should be 17N

Now, I get $F\approx31.7\text{ N}$.

MarkFL said:
Now, I get $F\approx31.7\text{ N}$.

That's what I got. But I know one of you said you got about 18N when you used the original 4.5m/s. Maybe I should just go back to doing that?

Related to Force of Friction: 0.5kg Ball & 0.381m Net

1. What is force of friction?

The force of friction is a resistive force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other. It opposes the motion or attempted motion of the objects and is caused by irregularities in the surfaces of the objects.

2. How is force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula: F = µN, where F is the force of friction, µ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What is the significance of a 0.5kg ball and 0.381m net in the context of force of friction?

The 0.5kg ball and 0.381m net represent the objects in contact and experiencing the force of friction. The mass and surface area of these objects can affect the amount of friction present and the coefficient of friction between them.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces of the objects in contact are. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to motion and therefore a higher force of friction.

5. Can the force of friction be eliminated?

The force of friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using lubricants, making surfaces smoother, or applying force in a certain direction to minimize its effects.