Force of a roller coaster track on a car

In summary, the roller coaster car has a mass of 800 kg when fully loaded with passengers. At point A, with a speed of 25.0 m/s, the track exerts a force on the car of 50000N. At point B, with a speed of 10.0 m/s, the track exerts a force of 20000N. The maximum speed the car can have at B and still remain on the track is 20.0 m/s. This is determined by considering the centripetal acceleration and the normal force acting on the car. Remembering Newton's 2nd law, the net force is equal to the mass times the centripetal acceleration, which is equal to the velocity
asdf12321asdf

Homework Statement

The roller coaster car shown below has a mass of 800 kg when fully loaded with passengers.
(a) If the car has a speed of 25.0 m/s at point A, what force does the track exert on the car at that
point. (b) If the car has a speed of 10.0 m/s at point B, what force does the track exert on the car.
(c) What is the maximum speed the car could have at B and still remain on the track?

BwRCj.png

Homework Equations

F = mv²/r

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
I thought I would just need to plug into the above formula but that didn't work. I did:
800kg * (25m/s)² / 10m and got the answer 50000N, but that is not the correct answer. I am not sure what else to
Edit: Figured out I had to add in the normal force and got the correct answer.
(b)
Edit: Figured out based on what I learned from part a.
(c)
Edit: Figured out based on what I learned from part a.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember Newton's 2nd law...it's not f=ma, but F_net =ma, that is, the sum of all forces(that is, the net force) =ma =mv^2/r. Therb is another force acting on the car besides its weight..the contact force (the normal force) of the track on the car. Solve for it. What is the direction of the centripetal acceleration and the direction of the net force?

Thanks for the help! I realized I had to also add the normal force when it was at part a. I was able to figure out part b and c based on that information.

Related to Force of a roller coaster track on a car

What is the force of a roller coaster track on a car?

The force of a roller coaster track on a car is the amount of energy exerted on the car by the track as it moves along the track. It is a combination of the force of gravity, the force of the track pushing against the car, and the force of friction between the car and the track.

How is the force of a roller coaster track on a car calculated?

The force of a roller coaster track on a car can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration. In this case, the mass of the car and its acceleration along the track are taken into consideration.

What factors affect the force of a roller coaster track on a car?

The force of a roller coaster track on a car is affected by several factors, including the speed of the car, the angle and shape of the track, the weight of the car, and the presence of friction. These factors can all impact the overall force experienced by the car as it moves along the track.

How does the force of a roller coaster track on a car impact the ride experience?

The force of a roller coaster track on a car is a crucial aspect of the ride experience. It determines the speed, acceleration, and overall intensity of the ride. A higher force can result in a more thrilling and intense ride, while a lower force may make the ride feel slower and less exciting.

Are there safety concerns related to the force of a roller coaster track on a car?

Yes, the force of a roller coaster track on a car must be carefully considered and designed for in order to ensure the safety of riders. If the force is too high, it can cause discomfort or even injuries. On the other hand, if the force is too low, the ride may not be exciting enough for riders. Roller coaster designers must strike a balance to create a fun and safe ride experience for all.