Force of a charge Q at the origin?

In summary, the force between the point (0,0) and the point (0,b) is twice the force between the point (0,0) and the point (0,-2b).
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A charge Q is placed at the center of the origin on the attached document. What is the force on this charge?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law:

F= kqQ/d2 ^
r

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached document for figure. I'm confused by this problem. Along the positive y axis, we have a postive charge of Q. On the negative y axis, we have 2Q, which I also assume is a positive charge. Hence because Q at the origin is also at the center, I thought that both charges would repel this Q to stay at the center because like charges repel each other. I'm not sure how to show this though with Coloumb's Law since from that point of view, Q isn't going anywhere so there would be no change in distance...

Attachments

• Force on Q at origin.jpg
    Force on Q at origin.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 787
Physics news on Phys.org
Violagirl said:
I'm confused by this problem. Along the positive y axis, we have a postive charge of Q. On the negative y axis, we have 2Q, which I also assume is a positive charge. Hence because Q at the origin is also at the center, I thought that both charges would repel this Q to stay at the center because like charges repel each other. I'm not sure how to show this though with Coloumb's Law since from that point of view, Q isn't going anywhere so there would be no change in distance...
In your expression for Coulombs law, you forgot that force is a vector.
How would you normally handle two forces that point in opposite directions?

Well, thinking of it as a vector, we have a force from Q at origin to Q going upward. And then there's a second force from Q at origin to 2Q for where 2Q has a vector pointing downward. So would I find the difference between the vectors of both charges and use Coloumb's Law twice in the problem for both situations and then subtract the equations for both?

Well done.
Just some pointers...

It's hard to talk about isn't it. It can help to rewrite the question in more precise terms...
Lets set normal cartesian x-y axis, then fixed charges p=+Q and r=+2Q at at position (0,b) and (0,-2b) respectively.
You want to know the net force on charge q=+Q at position (0,0).
You can draw a free-body diagram for charge q
... the force on q due to r is Fr, and it points which way?
... the force on q due to p is Fp, and it points which way?

The net force in the +y direction is given by... F(net)=...

Interestingly you don't need to apply the Coulombs law equation and the algebra etc to see what will happen.
You can use what you know of the consequences...

twice the charge= how many times the force?
but: twice the distance = how many times the force?
... so: if you double the charge and also double the distance, how many times the force?
... so Fr is how many times Fp?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your input! If you increase distance between two charged points, you will greatly reduce the impact of the force. Increasing the charge with an increase in distance will still reduce how much force is generated between both points.

"greatly reduce"? How many times? Can you put a number on that?
This is actually the core lesson yu are supposed to learn from the exercize.

Note: you can still increase the charge and the distance and still have increased force.
("impact of force" and "force" are the same thing - but I think you mean "magnitude of force".)

Related to Force of a charge Q at the origin?

1. What is the formula for calculating the force of a charge Q at the origin?

The formula for calculating the force of a charge Q at the origin is F = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2) and r is the distance from the charge Q to the origin.

2. How does the force of a charge Q at the origin change with distance?

The force of a charge Q at the origin follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases as the distance from the charge Q increases. This means that the force is strongest when the distance is smallest and weakest when the distance is largest.

3. What is the direction of the force of a charge Q at the origin?

The direction of the force of a charge Q at the origin depends on the charge of the object experiencing the force. If the object has a positive charge, the force will be repulsive and point away from the charge Q. If the object has a negative charge, the force will be attractive and point towards the charge Q.

4. Can the force of a charge Q at the origin be negative?

Yes, the force of a charge Q at the origin can be negative. This occurs when the object experiencing the force has the same charge as Q, resulting in an attractive force towards the charge Q.

5. How does the force of a charge Q at the origin compare to other types of forces?

The force of a charge Q at the origin is an electrostatic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. It is much stronger than the gravitational force, but weaker than the strong and weak nuclear forces.