Force (object is suspended connected to a block on table and pulled up)

In summary, a block of mass M1 on a rough horizontal surface is connected to a ball of mass M2 by a lightweight cord over a lightweight frictionless pulley. A force of magnitude F at an angle theta with the horizontal is applied to the block. The coefficient of friction between the block and surface is mu_k. Using Newton's dynamic equation, the magnitude of the acceleration of the ball is determined in terms of its mass, F, the angle theta, and mu_k. The tension in the cord is
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 on a rough horizontal surface is connected to a ball of mass m2 by a lightweight cord over a lightweight frictionless pulley as shown. A force of magnitude F at an angle theta with the horizontal is applied to the block. The coefficient of friction between the block and surface is [tex]\mu_k[/tex]

a.) draw a free body diagram of the 2 masses

b.) use Newton's dynamic equation to determine the magnitude of the acceleration of theh 2 objects in terms of their masses, F, theta, and [tex]\mu_k[/tex]

c.) what is the tension in the cord
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1023/picture1dn4.png

Homework Equations

F= ma

Ffk= uk* Fn

and a Newton's dynamic equation? ==> what is that exactly??

The Attempt at a Solution

a)for the free body diagram

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/2900/90134448jw8.th.jpg

b) how would I do this question...not sure and I'm stuck after the free body diagram...hm..

c) I guess I would need to solve part b to get part c

~I do know that they both have the same accelration but how would I know if the total forces [tex]\sum Fx= 0[/tex]?

I need help please..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
~christina~ said:
and a Newton's dynamic equation? ==> what is that exactly??
That's Newton's 2nd law.

One problem with the FBD: That applied force F is at an angle, not horizontal.

Analyze the forces parallel to the direction of motion for each block and apply Newton's 2nd law. You'll get two equations--one for each mass--that you'll solve together for the two unknowns: the acceleration and tension.

I was wondering why I don't analyze the horizontal component of the block but I think it's b/c the total forces = 0 but...this is what I got.

for m2 (only movement in y direction)
[tex]\sum Fx= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum Fy= T- m_2 g= m_2 ay[/tex]

for m1 (block)
[tex]\sum Fx= max= Fcos theta- (T+ \muk m1g)[/tex]
[tex]\sum Fy= may= Fsin theta + N- mg= 0[/tex]

Well I just wanted to check first...

~christina~ said:
[tex]\sum Fx= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum Fy= T- m_2 g= m_2 ay[/tex]
Good. I would just call the acceleration "a".

for m1 (block)
[tex]\sum Fx= max= Fcos theta- (T+ \mu_k m1g)[/tex]
Careful here: What's the normal force? Again: call the acceleration "a".
[tex]\sum Fy= may= Fsin theta + N- mg= 0[/tex]
Good. Use this to figure out N.

[tex]\sum Fx= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum Fy= T- m_2 g= m_2 a[/tex]

for m1 (block)
[tex]\sum Fx= ma= Fcos theta- (T+ \muk m1g)[/tex] => was this incorrect (see below for my correction)??

~I do know that that is the Fx component right? but I guess I need to incorperate the N?

[tex]\sum Fy= ma= Fsin theta + N- mg= 0[/tex]
from the Fy

N= mg - Fsin theta

I think that since the Ffk = uk*FN
then the equation on the top for the Fx wouldn't be uk* m1g since the normal force is lighter so it would be instead

[tex]\sum Fx= ma= Fcos theta- (T+u_k (m_1g- Fsin theta))[/tex]

Is it fine now?

I guess whenever I have to find the x component of the force when there is friction I need to incorperate the normal force the angle it is being pulled at if there is a angle so that the normal force is not just m*g right?

~christina~ said:
Is it fine now?
Yes, all better.

I guess whenever I have to find the x component of the force when there is friction I need to incorperate the normal force the angle it is being pulled at if there is a angle so that the normal force is not just m*g right?
Right. Friction depends on the normal force, which may or may not equal the weight of the object, depending upon the situation.

[tex]\sum Fy= ma= Fsin theta + N- mg= 0[/tex]
from the Fy

N= mg - Fsin theta

b) b.) use Newton's dynamic equation to determine the magnitude of the acceleration of the 2 objects in terms of their masses, F, theta, and [tex]\mu_k[/tex]

(I'm not sure what they want)

would it be adding the 2 equation??

the first object and second object's forces like this?

so adding them I get..
+ T- mg= m2a
+ Fcos theta - T- uk (m1g- Fsin theta) = m1a

Fcos theta- m2g- uk(m2g- Fsin theta)= (m1 + m2)a

a= (Fcos theta- m2g - uk(m2g- Fsin theta))/ m1+ m2
Is this what they want?

Assuming it is...
for part c.) I need to find

c.) tension in cord..

I think that I would plug this into a original equation while using the acceleration I found...

T= m2a + m2g

substituting a

T= m2( (Fcos theta- m2g - uk(m2g- Fsin theta))/ m1+ m2) + m2g

I think this is okay but not sure..

Looks good to me!

As a practical matter, I would solve for a and then plug the numerical value into the other equation to get T.

Oh okay..I would plug in the numbers if I had numbers given...

I usually find it challenging to not have numbers though..

Thanks for your help Doc Al !

Related to Force (object is suspended connected to a block on table and pulled up)

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is force related to an object suspended and connected to a block on a table being pulled up?

In this scenario, the force is being applied upwards on the suspended object, which creates tension in the string connecting it to the block. This tension is an equal and opposite force to the force being applied to the object, keeping it suspended and preventing it from falling.

3. What are the different types of forces acting on the suspended object?

There are three main types of forces acting on the suspended object: the force of gravity pulling the object downwards, the normal force from the table pushing the object upwards, and the tension force from the string pulling the object upwards.

4. How is the magnitude of the force determined in this scenario?

The magnitude of the force in this scenario is determined by the amount of force being applied to the suspended object. This force is equal to the weight of the object, which is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. What happens if the force applied to the suspended object is greater than the tension force in the string?

If the force applied to the suspended object is greater than the tension force in the string, the object will accelerate upwards. This is because the net force acting on the object is now greater than zero and there is an unbalanced force causing it to move. If the force is continuously increased, the string may eventually break and the object will fall.