Force & Newton's 2nd Law Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving two forces applied to an object and the resulting acceleration. The textbook solution involves using algebraic techniques to eliminate variables and solve for the unknown forces. It is suggested to brush up on algebra and further research this method for solving problems.
crono_
Brand new to the forum. My apologies if this problem is already posted on the site. I searched a bit but had no luck.

Homework Statement

Problem from Cutnell & Johnson PHYSICS 7th Edition. Chapter 4 - Problem #9

Two forces FA and FB are applied to an object whose mass is 8.0 kg. The larger force is FA. When both forces point due east, the objects acceleration has a magnitude of 0.50 m/s2. However, when FA points due east and FB points due west, the acceleration is 0.40 m/s2, due east. Find (a) the magnitude of FA and (b) the magnitude of FB.

Homework Equations

F=ma

FA + FB = ma1

FA - FB = ma2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the textbooks solution manual, but don't really understand the solution. Any help would be appreciated.

a) Adding equations 1 and 2 gives

FA = m (a1 + a2) / 2

= (8.0 kg) (0.50 m/s2 + 0.40 m/s2) / 2

= 3.6 N

b) Subtracting equation 2 from equation 1 gives

FA = m (a1 - a2) / 2

= (8.0 kg) (0.50 m/s2 + 0.40 m/s2) / 2

= 0.40 N

Ok, the final answers make sense when you plug the numbers into the equations. But I'm curious about why the equations are being added and subtracted from each other? In other words, how / why did the book mix the two equations together at get:

FA = m (a1 + a2) / 2

FA = m (a1 - a2) / 2

Again, probably just simple algebra that I'm looking over...

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It's a technique for eliminating variables, in this case they are trying to isolate Fa and Fb just in terms of the other variables and not themselves. It is only algebraic cleverness and not physics that calls for that approach. Other more brute force means, maybe not as elegant, could be employed.

HOW did the textbook do it? Because if:

A = B​

and,

C = D​

then,

A + C = B + D​

This just follows from the fact that A and B are interchangeable...whenever you see one, you can substitute it for the other. Likewise for C and D.

I'm not sure if that qualifies as a formal proof, but I don't think you want to go so deep into the math as to question the nature of "equality" rather than merely accepting it and using it ;)

WHY did the textbook do this? Because it allows one to solve the problem.

You mean to say F_B = m(a1-a2)/2. Algebraically, when you add , subtract, multiply, divide, etc 2 equations together, you get a third equation which is equal to the first. Adding or subtracting eliminates one of the unknown variables, alowing you to solve for one of the unknowns.

Ok, I definitely need to brush up on the algebra. Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to have to read and re-read your responses to fully understand what the textbook is doing.

Is anyone aware of where I could find information on this method?

Thanks again!

Related to Force & Newton's 2nd Law Problem

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law of Motion?

Newton's 2nd Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the slower its acceleration will be.

2. How is force measured?

Force is typically measured in units of newtons (N), which is equivalent to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg·m/s²). This unit is derived from the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's 2nd Law, force and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that if the force acting on an object increases, its acceleration will also increase. Similarly, if the force decreases, the acceleration will also decrease.

4. How does mass affect the acceleration of an object?

Mass and acceleration have an inverse relationship according to Newton's 2nd Law. This means that the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate when a force is applied to it. Similarly, a lighter object will accelerate more than a heavier object when the same force is applied.

5. Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. In linear motion, the force and acceleration act in the same direction, while in rotational motion, the force and acceleration act in perpendicular directions. However, the principles of Newton's 2nd Law remain the same in both cases.