Force needed to accelerate electron

In summary, we discussed the concept of concurrent forces and their resultant force. We also explored how to find the resultant force when the angle between the forces is unknown. Additionally, we learned that the maximum resultant force can be found by considering the forces acting in the same direction or anti-parallel, and the minimum resultant force can be found by considering the forces acting at an angle between them.
MIA6
1. What force is needed to give an electron an acceleration of 1.00*10^10 meters per second2?
1) 9.11*10^-41 N 2) 9.11*10^-31 N 3) 9.11*10^-21 N 4) 1.10*10^43.
I used electron's mass times acceleration, but non of these is the answer.

2. Two concurrent forces of 6 Newtons and 12 Newtons could produce the same effect as a single force of _____
1) 5 N 2) 15 N 3) 20 N 4) 72 N
It just says the two concurrent forces, but I don't know the angle between them, then how can I find the resultant?

3. Two concurrent forces of 40 Newtons and X Newtons have a resultant of 100 Newtons. Force X could be ____
1) 20 N 2) 40 N 3) 80 N 4) 150 N
It's like the same thing as the previous one, so how can I find it?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
MIA6 said:
1. What force is needed to give an electron an acceleration of 1.00*10^10 meters per second2?
1) 9.11*10^-41 N 2) 9.11*10^-31 N 3) 9.11*10^-21 N 4) 1.10*10^43.
I used electron's mass times acceleration, but non of these is the answer.

Yes the answer is there, what did you use for mass of electron?

MIA6 said:
2. Two concurrent forces of 6 Newtons and 12 Newtons could produce the same effect as a single force of _____
1) 5 N 2) 15 N 3) 20 N 4) 72 N
It just says the two concurrent forces, but I don't know the angle between them, then how can I find the resultant?

Consider if the two forces acted in the same direction,what would be the resultant. Then if they acted anti-parallel, what is the resultant?

MIA6 said:
3. Two concurrent forces of 40 Newtons and X Newtons have a resultant of 100 Newtons. Force X could be ____
1) 20 N 2) 40 N 3) 80 N 4) 150 N
It's like the same thing as the previous one, so how can I find it?

You can eliminate two answers by thinking of how to get the maximum resultant force

rock.freak667 said:
Consider if the two forces acted in the same direction,what would be the resultant. Then if they acted anti-parallel, what is the resultant?

Then, it's either 6 or 18, which non of them has the answer.

MIA6 said:
Then, it's either 6 or 18, which non of them has the answer.

Right, so 6N is the min resultant force and 18N is the max. So if then if it acts at an angle it must lie between 6 and 18

Ok,I see. thanks.

Related to Force needed to accelerate electron

1. What is the force needed to accelerate an electron?

The force needed to accelerate an electron is dependent on the mass and acceleration of the electron. The formula for force is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. The mass of an electron is approximately 9.109 x 10^-31 kilograms, and the acceleration is typically given in meters per second squared.

2. How is the force needed to accelerate an electron measured?

The force needed to accelerate an electron can be measured using a device called a Coulomb force balance. This device uses the Coulomb force between two charged objects to determine the force needed to accelerate an electron. It is a highly precise instrument used in scientific research.

3. Can the force needed to accelerate an electron be manipulated?

Yes, the force needed to accelerate an electron can be manipulated by changing either the mass or the acceleration of the electron. This can be achieved through various methods such as changing the electric or magnetic fields that the electron is passing through, or by creating collisions with other particles to alter its path and acceleration.

4. What is the significance of the force needed to accelerate an electron?

The force needed to accelerate an electron is significant in understanding and studying the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is also crucial in many technological applications, such as in the development of electronic devices and in the field of particle physics.

5. How does the force needed to accelerate an electron differ from other forces in nature?

The force needed to accelerate an electron is an electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. It differs from other forces such as gravity and strong and weak nuclear forces, which act on a larger scale and have different mechanisms of action. Additionally, the force needed to accelerate an electron is much weaker compared to other forces, but it plays a crucial role in the behavior of matter at the atomic level.