Force mechanical oscillator and frequency independent?

In summary, the conversation is about a question on forced mechanical oscillators and the frequency independence of certain parameters. The question asks to show that the mechanical amplitude at low frequencies, the velocity amplitude at velocity resonance, and the acceleration amplitude at high frequencies are all frequency independent. The formula for displacement and velocity are given, and the person is unsure of how to approach the question. They mention that it may be a concept problem and share their thoughts on the first part of the question, which involves finding the displacement amplitude at low frequencies.
hemetite
i got these question which i do not know how to do...

Qn. In a forced mechanical oscillator, show that the following are frequency independent.

i) the mechanical amplitude at low frequencies.
ii) the velocity amplitude at velocity resonance.
iii) the acceleration amplitude at high frequencies.

how do i start?

i know that the formual for

displacement= F/wZ sin (wt -teta)
where Z= sqrt[ r sq + ((mw - s/w) sq) ]

velocity= F/Zm cos (wt- teta)

how to go about in this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Might I ask what subject this is for? I don't think I have ever heard of a "velocity resonance" before. Is this something that needs to be shown mathematically or is it a concept problem?

this is for damped oscillation subject.

not sure...look like a concept problem..but dun think it is so simple...maybe need to derive mathematically...

anyway..here is my answer that i thought it over yesterday..what do you think?

i) displacement amplitude at low frequencies

x= F/wZ sin (wt-teta),
Z=sqrt( r square + (mw - s/w) square),
Z= mechanical impedence of the system

at low frequency, the denominator of F/wZ will make F the numerator the largest.

In Z=sqrt( r square + (mw - s/w) square), when w --> 0. Z= sqrt(r)

so at low frequency, F/wZ, will lead to F/r, which the system be affected much by r(stiffness of the system)..

this is what i get for the first one..

Related to Force mechanical oscillator and frequency independent?

What is a force mechanical oscillator?

A force mechanical oscillator is a system that consists of a mass attached to a spring or other elastic element, with an external force acting on the mass. This causes the mass to oscillate back and forth, creating a periodic motion.

What is the purpose of a force mechanical oscillator?

The purpose of a force mechanical oscillator is to convert one form of energy into another. In this case, the external force is converted into the kinetic energy of the oscillating mass.

What are the factors that affect the frequency of a force mechanical oscillator?

The frequency of a force mechanical oscillator is affected by the mass of the oscillating object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It is also affected by any external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance.

What is resonance in a force mechanical oscillator?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when the frequency of an external force matches the natural frequency of the oscillator. This causes the amplitude of the oscillation to increase significantly, potentially leading to destructive vibrations.

How is the frequency of a force mechanical oscillator kept constant?

The frequency of a force mechanical oscillator is kept constant by adjusting the stiffness of the spring. This is achieved through the use of a feedback control system, where the system measures the frequency of the oscillator and adjusts the stiffness accordingly to maintain a constant frequency.