Force: max tension before rope breaks

In summary, the maximum tension that each rope can support is 4000 N. The rope with a 60 degree angle can hold less weight than the other rope with a 40 degree angle. By solving for the forces acting on the middle point where the ropes meet, it was determined that the maximum weight both ropes can safely support is 6928 N.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

If the maximum tension either rope can sustain without breaking is 4000 N, determine the maximum value of the hanging weight that these ropes can safely support. You can ignore the weight of the ropes and the steel cable.

YF-05-59new.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the rope with the 60 degree angle will have the greater tension therefore being able to hold a less amount of weight.

so i did 4000*sin(60)=W

W=3464 Newtons

so the rope that can hold the least amount of tension will be able to hold 3464 N.

i then doubled this to get 6928 N and that is the total weight both ropes can hold if the max tension of the weakest rope can support 4000 N.

Does this sound correct?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You should draw a free body diagram and get the forces acting on the middle point where the metal cable and ropes meet.
Fy: T1sin(40) + T2sin(60) - mg = 0
Fx: T1cos(40) - T2cos(60)= 0

Last edited:
Hmm I'm not so sure it's that easy, I assume that the block must remain in equilibrium and therefore the horizontal forces must be equal aswell, i'd make sure they are. The tensions in each rope may not be the same!

damn that guy above me editing >.<

Last edited:
korican04 said:
You should draw a free body diagram and get the forces acting on the middle point where the metal cable and ropes meet.
Fy: T1sin(40) + T2sin(60) - mg = 0
Fx: T1cos(40) - T2cos(60)= 0

Thank you. that worked great and makes sense. i just used 4000 N for T2 on the Fx then solved for T1 then plugged that into the other equation and got the weight :)

thanks again.

Related to Force: max tension before rope breaks

1. What is "force" and how is it related to tension?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. Tension is a type of force that is exerted by a stretched object, such as a rope or string.

2. How is "max tension" determined before a rope breaks?

The maximum tension that a rope can handle before breaking is determined by its material properties, such as its strength and elasticity. This can be measured through various tests, such as tensile strength tests.

3. How does the thickness of a rope affect its maximum tension?

The thickness or diameter of a rope can affect its maximum tension before breaking. Generally, thicker ropes can handle higher tensions, as they have more material to distribute the force.

4. Can the length of a rope also impact its maximum tension?

Yes, the length of a rope can also impact its maximum tension. Longer ropes tend to have lower maximum tensions before breaking, as the force is spread out over a greater distance.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum tension of a rope?

Aside from the material properties, thickness, and length of a rope, other factors that can affect its maximum tension include temperature, age, and external forces acting on the rope.