Force Law for 2D Motion with Const a,b,w: F = F(r)

• Thread starter vle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation discusses a body of mass m moving in two dimensions under the influence of a force F. The trajectory of the body is given by r(t) = aCos(wt)x^ + bSin(wt)y^, where a, b, and w are constants. The goal is to find the force law F = F(r) that corresponds to this motion, which is not the Newton's Law of Gravitation. Through the use of Newton's Second Law of Motion, \vec{F} = m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}, the formula r(t) = aCos(wt)x^ + bSin(wt)y^ can be derived.
vle1
A body of mass m moves under the influence of a force F in two dimensions. It has an trajectory
r(t) = aCos(wt)x^ + bSin(wt)y^

a = alpha
b = beta
w = omega, they are not a, b, and w in alphabet
x^,y^: vector unit

a,b,w are constant. Find the force law F = F(r) which corresponds to this motion (This trajectory is an ellipse, but not Keplerian ellipse. Newton's Law of Gravitaion is not the force law you seek here).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Newton's second law of motion.

Can you explain more in detail, it still confuses me. How do we derive the fomular of Newton's Second Law F=ma to this kind of fomular:confused:

Well we have;

[tex]\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F} = m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F} = m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}[/tex]

Can you go from here?

Last edited:
I have to admit that I'm stupid, I know the Newton's Second Law. But how to get to r(t) = aCos(wt)x^ + bSin(wt)y^

What does [tex]m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}[/tex] mean to you?

My god man! I've forgot my d's! Duly corrected ...

Related to Force Law for 2D Motion with Const a,b,w: F = F(r)

1. What is the force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w?

The force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w is given by the equation F = F(r), where F is the force acting on the object and r is the position vector.

2. What do the constants a, b, and w represent in the force law equation?

The constant a represents the acceleration of the object, b represents the coefficient of friction, and w represents the weight of the object.

3. How is the force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w derived?

The force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration (F = ma). By incorporating the coefficient of friction and weight of the object, the force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w is obtained.

4. What is the significance of the force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w?

The force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w is a fundamental equation in physics that helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It allows us to calculate the force required to produce a certain acceleration, taking into account factors such as friction and weight.

5. Can the force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w be applied to all types of objects?

Yes, the force law for 2D motion with constant a, b, and w can be applied to all types of objects, regardless of their shape, size, or mass. As long as the object is moving in two-dimensional space and the force acting on it can be expressed in terms of its position vector, this equation can be used to analyze its motion.