Force exerted on U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow help please

In summary, the steady air flow exerts a force on the U-shaped pipe that is in the opposite direction to the airflow.
ds7202
Force exerted on U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow... help please! :)

Hello! I have attempted this problem, and my result makes sense in my twisted mind. However, it seems like it came too easy!

Homework Statement

Consider a length of pipe bent into a U-shape. The inside diameter of the pipe is 0.2m. Air enters one leg of the pipe at a mean velocity of 10 m/s and exits the other leg at the same magnitude of velocity, but moving in the opposite direction. The pressure of the flow at the inlet and exit is the ambient pressure of the surroundings. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the pipe by the airflow. The air density is 1.23 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

I attempted this problem using the steady-flow momentum equation, [itex]\sum\vec{F}[/itex] = [itex]\int\rho\vec{v}(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{n})dA[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution can be viewed here:
http://i.imgur.com/SHItH.jpg

Pleeeeease help! Thanks! :D

Physics news on Phys.org

I looked through your calculation, they don't seem wrong, but I didn't study that equation so I don't know if it is correct to use it.

However, I think that a pipe like the one in the problem would move in some way, because it seems very close to the problem of a ball rebounding on a wall: the initial and final condition of the ball are the same, except from the velocity that is the opposite. In these kind of problem, since the velocity varies, you have some forces acting (Newton's second law).
I'd use this way of reasoning - but I'm not sure it is correct. In addition, to perform my calculation I need the length of the pipe, and you did not provided it. So maybe my way is not the correct one. Nevertheless, I think that it must be considered some kind of non-zero force, because the air actually changes its velocity!

Hope you understand (my English is not perfect :D:D:D )

I realize what I did wrong. I used the velocity's normal vector instead of the control surface's normal vector, haha

Related to Force exerted on U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow help please

What is the force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow?

The force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow is the pressure that the air exerts on the walls of the pipe. This force is caused by the movement of air molecules and is measured in units of newtons (N).

How does the force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow affect the pipe's structure?

The force exerted by steady air-flow can cause the pipe to vibrate or bend, depending on the strength and direction of the airflow. This can potentially weaken the structure of the pipe over time, leading to cracks or breaks.

What factors influence the force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow?

The force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow is influenced by several factors, including the velocity of the air, the density of the air, and the shape and size of the pipe. The angle of the pipe and the smoothness of its surface can also affect the force exerted.

How can the force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow be measured?

The force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow can be measured using a device called a manometer. This instrument measures the difference in pressure between two points in the pipe, which can then be used to calculate the force exerted by the air-flow.

What are some practical applications of understanding the force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow?

Understanding the force exerted on a U-shaped pipe by steady air-flow is important in designing and maintaining various systems and structures, such as ventilation systems, pipelines, and chimneys. It can also be used in industries such as aerospace, where the effects of air-flow on structures and equipment must be carefully considered.