Force exerted on bicycle to maintain cosntant speed

In summary: All you need is power (Watts) and speed (V). So, multiplying 210 watts by 7 meters per second gives you a total of 3600 watts being exerted eastward on the bike.
ErwinJL

Homework Statement

A 70-kilogram cyclist develops 210 watts of power while pedaling at a constant velocity of 7 m/s east. What average force is exerted eastward on the bicycle to maintain this constant speed?
m = 70kg
W = 210 J
V = 7 m/s
F = ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I did this problem was by looking at my units. I'm trying to find force (Newtons) when given mass (kilograms), watts (Joules per second), and velocity (meters per second). I know that watts in joules per second is equal to Newtons times meters per second, which in turn, becomes Newtons times velocity. In the end, I use watts equals Newtons times velocity and solve for Newtons, dividing watts by velocity (in this case, 210 watts divided by 7 meters per second). I end up with 30 N. Is this a correct way of doing the problem? Is there another way to do it with an equation and number crunching?

Physics news on Phys.org
ErwinJL said:

Homework Statement

A 70-kilogram cyclist develops 210 watts of power while pedaling at a constant velocity of 7 m/s east. What average force is exerted eastward on the bicycle to maintain this constant speed?
m = 70kg
W = 210 J
V = 7 m/s
F = ?

Homework Equations

The way I did this problem was by looking at my units. I'm trying to find force (Newtons) when given mass (kilograms), watts (Joules per second), and velocity (meters per second). I know that watts in joules per second is equal to Newtons times meters per second, which in turn, becomes Newtons times velocity. In the end, I use watts equals Newtons times velocity and solve for Newtons, dividing watts by velocity (in this case, 210 watts divided by 7 meters per second). I end up with 30 N. Is this a correct way of doing the problem? Is there another way to do it with an equation and number crunching?

That is perfectly correct. Work=Force*Distance, so dividing by unit time gives you Power=Force*Velocity. But that's pretty much what you have already worked out using the units. Paying attention to units is a great thing and you are doing that well.

ErwinJL said:

Homework Statement

m = 70kg
W = 210 J
V = 7 m/s
F = ?

Homework Equations

Looks like the mass of the cyclist, here, is just a red herring. :smile:

Related to Force exerted on bicycle to maintain cosntant speed

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can change the motion of an object.

What is the force exerted on a bicycle?

The force exerted on a bicycle is the total force applied to the pedals, which includes the force from the rider's legs and the force from the ground pushing against the wheels.

How does force affect the speed of a bicycle?

Force is directly related to acceleration, so a greater force exerted on a bicycle will result in a greater increase in speed. However, if the force is balanced by other opposing forces (such as air resistance or friction), the bicycle will maintain a constant speed.

What happens if the force exerted on a bicycle is less than the opposing forces?

If the force exerted on a bicycle is less than the opposing forces (such as air resistance or friction), the bicycle will slow down and eventually come to a stop. In order to maintain a constant speed, the force exerted must be equal to or greater than the opposing forces.

How can the force exerted on a bicycle be increased to maintain a constant speed?

The force exerted on a bicycle can be increased by pedaling harder and applying more force to the pedals. This will result in a greater acceleration and counteract any opposing forces, allowing the bicycle to maintain a constant speed.