Force exerted by a beam of light

In summary, the force exerted by a beam of light on a perfectly reflecting sphere of intensity I is equal to I/c, according to the principle of conservation of momentum.
Mr confusion

Homework Statement

FORCE on a sphere due to a beam of light
a beam of light(thick enough to shower the whole sphere) is falling horizontally on a perfectly reflecting sphere of intensity I. what is the force exerted by this light beam on the sphere?

Homework Equations

p=U/c, area element=a^2 sin theta d theta d phi

3. The Attempt at a Solution
while solving this, i get 4 sines , 1) for area element on sphere R^2 sin theta dtheta dphi
2)for momentum component of photon in radial direction
3)for dot product of intensity with area element to get energy incident on area element normally.
4) for net component of forces along horizontal direction. (vertical ones get canceled out due to symmetry).
but my book shows 3 sines and 1 cos.and the answer is thus coming different(pi R^2 I/c) can anyone show me where i am going wrong? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The attempt at a solution is incorrect. The correct approach to solve this problem is to use the principle of conservation of momentum. Since the beam of light is incident on the sphere with intensity I, it will exert a force on the sphere. The force can be calculated by using the equation F = I/c, where c is the speed of light. Therefore, the force exerted by this light beam on the sphere is equal to I/c.

Related to Force exerted by a beam of light

What is the force exerted by a beam of light?

The force exerted by a beam of light is known as radiation pressure. It is the pressure that is exerted on an object when it is hit by photons, which are the particles that make up light. This force is very small and is usually only noticeable at the microscopic level.

How is the force exerted by a beam of light calculated?

The force exerted by a beam of light can be calculated using the formula F = P/c, where F is the force, P is the power of the light beam, and c is the speed of light. This formula is based on the conservation of momentum, which states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied to it multiplied by the time it is applied.

Can the force exerted by a beam of light be used to move objects?

Yes, the force exerted by a beam of light can be used to move objects. This is known as optical trapping and it is commonly used in scientific research to manipulate tiny particles and even living cells. By focusing a laser beam on an object, the radiation pressure can push or pull the object and move it in a desired direction.

Can the force exerted by a beam of light be seen?

No, the force exerted by a beam of light cannot be seen as it is a physical force and not a visible light. However, the effects of this force can be seen, such as when a laser pointer moves a small object or when a solar sail is pushed by sunlight in outer space.

How does the force exerted by a beam of light compare to other forces?

The force exerted by a beam of light is relatively weak compared to other forces, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and nuclear forces. However, it can still have significant effects on small particles and objects, and it is an important force in the study of optics and photonics.