Force/ enegry equations for maglev (electromangetism)

In summary, The speaker is struggling with calculations for electromagnetism in a university project. They are trying to determine the force, energy, and field size needed to lift magnets for both an attraction system (EMS maglev suspension) and a repulsion system (EDS). They have been unable to find equations that accurately reflect these factors and are seeking assistance.
richard cash
i am having a few problems with a project I am doing for university. The basics of which are force/energy/field size needed to lift magnets.

Basically, i need to show some calculations for the repulsion/attraction forces etc and my knowledge on electromangetism is limited.

For the first system of electromangetic attraction (EMS maglev suspension) we have a mass(train) being suspended above a track and the vehicle curls round the track. Under the track the electromagnet on the train is attracted to a permanent magnet. I have tried to get some equations relating the field strength, current, turns in the wire etc but just can't seem to get any equations right.

also, there is a repulsive system (EDS) whereby an electromagnet (usually a superconductor) is above a track on a train and induces currents in the track that repel the train. I can't figure out and sort of equation for the field strength, energy used or force required to left the train here either.

Could someone please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, if you assume the bottom of the train is flat, and that the track is flat, you may as well use this formula.

The pressure on the bottom of the train will be:

P = [tex] \frac{B ^2}{2\mu_0} [/tex]

Assuming equal currents in the train and track. The expression above, is true for pressure, and for energy density (joules per cubic meter) so if you multiply the pressure by the total volume in which B is significant, you get total energy.

To find the current required to produce this B, use:

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{A} [/tex]

where i is current and A is cross sectional area.

Hello there,

I can understand your difficulties with the project you are working on. Electromagnetism can be a complex topic, but with some basic equations and principles, we can solve the problems you are facing.

Firstly, let's start with the EMS maglev suspension system. As you mentioned, the train is being suspended above the track and the vehicle curls around the track. This system works on the principle of magnetic attraction between the permanent magnet on the track and the electromagnet on the train. The force of attraction between two magnets is given by the equation:

F = (μ0/4π) * (m1 * m2)/d^2

Where:
F is the force of attraction
μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π * 10^-7)
m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the two magnets
d is the distance between the two magnets

In this case, the force of attraction is counteracted by the weight of the train, which is given by the equation:

Fg = m * g

Where:
Fg is the weight of the train
m is the mass of the train
g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)

Now, for the EDS system, the train is being lifted by the repulsive force between the superconductor on the train and the induced currents in the track. The strength of the magnetic field produced by the superconductor is given by the equation:

B = μ0 * I/2πr

Where:
B is the magnetic field strength
μ0 is the permeability of free space
I is the current passing through the superconductor
r is the distance from the superconductor

The induced current in the track is given by Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction:

ε = -N * dΦ/dt

Where:
ε is the induced electromotive force (emf)
N is the number of turns in the track
Φ is the magnetic flux through the track
t is time

The repulsive force can be calculated using the Lorentz force equation:

F = q * v * B

Where:
F is the repulsive force
q is the charge of the train (assumed to be positive)
v is the velocity of the train
B is the magnetic field strength

To calculate the energy used, we can use the equation:

E = P * t

Related to Force/ enegry equations for maglev (electromangetism)

1. What is the force equation for a maglev train?

The force equation for a maglev train is defined by the Lorentz force law, which states that the force (F) acting on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field (B) with a velocity (v) is equal to the charge of the particle (q) multiplied by the vector cross product of the velocity and magnetic field (F = qv x B).

2. How does the speed of the maglev train affect the force it experiences?

The speed of the maglev train affects the force it experiences in two main ways. Firstly, the faster the train moves, the larger the Lorentz force will be due to the increased velocity (v) in the equation. Secondly, as the train moves faster, the magnetic field (B) will also increase due to electromagnetic induction, which will further increase the force acting on the train.

3. What is the energy equation for a maglev train?

The energy equation for a maglev train is the sum of its kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE). This can be represented as E = KE + PE, where KE = ½mv² and PE = mgh. The mass (m) and height (h) are constant for the train, so the energy equation is mainly affected by the velocity (v) of the train.

4. How does the magnetic field strength affect the force on the maglev train?

The magnetic field strength (B) directly affects the force (F) acting on the maglev train, as seen in the Lorentz force law. The greater the magnetic field strength, the larger the force will be on the train. This is why maglev trains use strong electromagnets to create a powerful magnetic field to lift and propel the train.

5. How is the force on the maglev train controlled?

The force on the maglev train can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the strength of the magnetic field, changing the speed of the train, and altering the distance between the train and the track. The force can also be controlled by adjusting the electrical current flowing through the electromagnet coils, which changes the strength of the magnetic field and thus, the force on the train.