Force due to wind and rolling friction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction on a minivan coasting on a level road while towing a boat. The total mass of the minivan and equipment is given and the speed is specified in mph. The conversation involves converting units, drawing a tangent to determine acceleration, and calculating the force by multiplying the acceleration by the mass.
bulldog23

Homework Statement

The graph shows the speed as a function of time for a minivan, coasting on neutral along a straight, level road, loaded with windsurfing equipment and towing a boat.The total mass is 2450kg (weight = 5402lbs). Find the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction when the van speed is 49.27mph (1mph= 0.447m/s).
prob09a_1004minivan.gif

Homework Equations

delta v/delta t=a
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the mph to m/s, and I drew a line tangent to the point on the graph where the speed is 49.27 mph. I just can't seem to get the numbers right for some reason. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
bulldog23 said:

Homework Statement

The graph shows the speed as a function of time for a minivan, coasting on neutral along a straight, level road, loaded with windsurfing equipment and towing a boat.The total mass is 2450kg (weight = 5402lbs). Find the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction when the van speed is 49.27mph (1mph= 0.447m/s).
prob09a_1004minivan.gif

Homework Equations

delta v/delta t=a
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the mph to m/s, and I drew a line tangent to the point on the graph where the speed is 49.27 mph. I just can't seem to get the numbers right for some reason. Can someone help me out?
When you drew the tangent, what did you conclude about the acceleration at that point?

The acceleration is negative, right. So doesn't that make the force negative? The van reaches 49.27 mph at 11 sec. So what other point should I use to find the slope?

bulldog23 said:
The acceleration is negative, right. So doesn't that make the force negative? The van reaches 49.27 mph at 11 sec. So what other point should I use to find the slope?
Draw the tangent as best you can, acros the whole graph, and see what the slope is by choosing any 2 convenient points to determine the approximate acceleration ( change in v/change in t) between those points. Yes, the force will be negative.

Then once I get the acceleration, I just multiply by 2450 kg?

alright, I got it, thanks!

bulldog23 said:
Then once I get the acceleration, I just multiply by 2450 kg?
Yes, that should do it. Your answer will be approximate because you're just scaling from the graph, unless you were given the exact equation for the graph.

Related to Force due to wind and rolling friction

What is force due to wind?

Force due to wind is the force exerted by the movement of air on an object. It can be caused by natural wind or wind generated by an object's movement through the air.

How is force due to wind calculated?

The force due to wind can be calculated using the formula F = 0.5 x ρ x A x Cd x V², where ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and V is the wind speed.

What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is the force that resists the motion of a rolling object, such as a wheel or ball, on a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the surface it is rolling on.

How is rolling friction different from sliding friction?

Rolling friction is different from sliding friction in that it occurs when an object is rolling on a surface, while sliding friction occurs when an object is sliding or slipping on a surface. Additionally, rolling friction is generally lower than sliding friction, making it more efficient for movement.

How can force due to wind and rolling friction affect the motion of an object?

Force due to wind and rolling friction can both act in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down or even come to a stop. This can have significant impacts on the speed and efficiency of an object's movement, as well as the energy required to overcome these forces.