Force due to a chain falling on a table

In summary: i was using the fact that pressure is force per unit area and force is the change in momentum so pressure is the change in momentum per unit area. so i thought i should find the change in momentum which would be mass*change in velocity. the mass would be mass density*length and change in velocity would be sqrt(2gx) so i got mass density*sqrt(2gx) which is 2mgx. then i thought the pressure would be 2mgx/length of the table but that turned out to be wrong. so i am so confused now.lol its so complicated that i just learned its answer. i was using the fact that pressure is force per unit area and force is the change in momentum so pressure is
Suyash Singh

Homework Statement

a uniform fine chain of length l is suspended with lower end just touching a horizontal table. Find the pressure on the table, when a length x has reached the table..

Homework Equations

Pressure = force/area

The Attempt at a Solution

let mass density, m= mass/l (this gives the mass per unit length)
force= mgx

How do i proceed now?

Physics news on Phys.org
A pressure requires knowledge of the area of the table or the width of the chain.

The question only makes sense if the word pressure is replaced with force.

If you use units of pressure = Newtons per square table top, you will get the same answer as finding the force.

Suyash Singh said:

Homework Statement

a uniform fine chain of length l is suspended with lower end just touching a horizontal table. Find the pressure on the table, when a length x has reached the table..

Homework Equations

Pressure = force/area

The Attempt at a Solution

let mass density, m= mass/l (this gives the mass per unit length)
force= mgx

How do i proceed now?
I assume the question says, or is supposed to say, that the chain is released. So there is not only the weight of the chain already on the table but some force, perhaps, from the new links arriving.
Consider momentum.

haruspex said:
I assume the question says, or is supposed to say, that the chain is released. So there is not only the weight of the chain already on the table but some force, perhaps, from the new links arriving.
Consider momentum.
so how do i do it?

something like mass x velocity? and then calculate pressure (which i can't figure out how)

the answer is 3mgx and no more details are given. From one site i found that m here represents mass density but i am not sure about that.

Suyash Singh said:
the answer is 3mgx and no more details are given. From one site i found that m here represents mass density but i am not sure about that.
How the unit of pressure can be ##Nm## (Newtonxmeter) ?

Suyash Singh said:
something like mass x velocity?
Sort of.

Consider a short period of time Δt.
At time 0, the end of the chain is just touching the table and x=0.
When there is a length x on the table, what is the velocity of the chain?
How much chain hits the table in time Δt?
What is the change in its momentum ?

Suyash Singh said:
found that m here represents mass density
Yes, that m would be the mass per unit length.

haruspex said:
Sort of.

Consider a short period of time Δt.
At time 0, the end of the chain is just touching the table and x=0.
When there is a length x on the table, what is the velocity of the chain?
How much chain hits the table in time Δt?
What is the change in its momentum ?Yes, that m would be the mass per unit length.

hey not OP, but I'll try

when s is on the table v^2 = 2gs, let linear density be L, L*x hits the chain in time dt, change in momentum is... m*dv/dt+ vdm/dt
sooo L*x *(d/dt (sqrt(2gs))+ Lv^2 annnnd I think the first term is wrong, it is isn't it?

Vriska said:
change in momentum is... m*dv/dt+ vdm/dt
I meant the change in momentum of the piece that hits the table.
You can write the mass of that piece in terms of your other variables.

haruspex said:
I meant the change in momentum of the piece that hits the table.
You can write the mass of that piece in terms of your other variables.

Okay momentum of piece is mass *change in velocity. but the mass that'd have fallen in time dt is Lvdt =L(sqrt(2gx))dt but the change in velocity is sqrt(2gx) . dp = 2Lgx dt. 2Lgx, force due to change in momentum is 2Lgx. force on the table due to weight already on it = Lgx, which is 3Lgx. Thanks!

Vriska said:
Okay momentum of piece is mass *change in velocity. but the mass that'd have fallen in time dt is Lvdt =L(sqrt(2gx))dt but the change in velocity is sqrt(2gx) . dp = 2Lgx dt. 2Lgx, force due to change in momentum is 2Lgx. force on the table due to weight already on it = Lgx, which is 3Lgx. Thanks!
Good, but since you did not originate the thread you probably should have held off a while before posting the solution.

lol its so complicated that i just learned its answer.

Related to Force due to a chain falling on a table

1. What is the force exerted by a falling chain on a table?

The force exerted by a falling chain on a table is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How does the length of the chain affect the force on the table?

The length of the chain does not affect the force on the table. The force is determined by the mass and acceleration of the chain, not its length.

3. Does the material of the chain impact the force on the table?

Yes, the material of the chain can impact the force on the table. A heavier or denser material will result in a greater force on the table compared to a lighter or less dense material.

4. Can the angle at which the chain falls affect the force on the table?

Yes, the angle at which the chain falls can affect the force on the table. If the chain falls at an angle, the force on the table will be the vertical component of the force, which is equal to the mass of the chain multiplied by the sine of the angle.

5. What other factors can influence the force exerted by a falling chain on a table?

The force exerted by a falling chain on a table can also be influenced by factors such as the height from which the chain is dropped, air resistance, and any other objects or surfaces that may be in the path of the chain's fall.