Force directly proportional to negative of displacement?

In summary, the conversation discussed a formula involving a spring and the significance of a negative sign in the formula. The minus sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement, and if one end of the spring is pulled to the right, the force will act in the left direction to restore the spring to its original shape. The person seeking help thanked the other for clarifying their confusion.
Amru123
I don't seem to understand this formula. How there should a negative sign before the displacement.Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are talking about a spring.

The minus sign tells you that the force is in the opposite direction as compared to the displacement. If you pull one end of the spring to the right, it will act on you with a force to the left trying to restore itself to the unstrained shape.

Orodruin said:
I assume you are talking about a spring.

The minus sign tells you that the force is in the opposite direction as compared to the displacement. If you pull one end of the spring to the right, it will act on you with a force to the left trying to restore itself to the unstrained shape.
It was indeed about spring! Thanks a lot!

Related to Force directly proportional to negative of displacement?

1. What does it mean for a force to be directly proportional to the negative of displacement?

This means that as the displacement of an object increases, the force acting on it decreases in a linear relationship in the opposite direction. In other words, the force and displacement have a constant inverse relationship.

2. How is this relationship represented mathematically?

The mathematical representation of this relationship is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the constant of proportionality, and x is the displacement.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in this relationship?

The negative sign indicates that the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This means that as the displacement increases, the force acts in the opposite direction to oppose the displacement.

4. Can this relationship be observed in real life?

Yes, this relationship can be observed in many real-life situations, such as when stretching a spring or compressing a gas. In both cases, the force applied is directly proportional to the negative of the displacement.

5. How does this relationship relate to Hooke's Law?

This relationship is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. Therefore, the force is directly proportional to the negative of the displacement.