Force density from an electromagnetic field

In summary, the force per volume is:$$ \vec F_V = \rho \alpha x \hat x + \vec J \times \beta x \hat y$$but I'm not sure where to go after that. I'm not given a value for either the charge density or the current density, so I can't simplify the relation much. Further, I'm not sure if my equation for the "work per volume" is correct. however, it's my best guess for what's being asked for.
dykuma
Homework Statement
I am given the electric and magnetic field, ## \vec E= \alpha x \hat x## and ## \vec B= \beta x \hat y##, where ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are constants. It is assumed that neither field is changing in time.

I am then asked to find the electromagnetic 'force per volume' (which I believe to be the 'force density'), as well as the 'power per volume' that's converted from electromagnetic energy into mechanical energy. Lastly, I'm asked to find a form of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## that makes the force density equal zero, besides both of them equaling zero.
Relevant Equations
$$\vec F_V = \rho \vec E + \vec J \times \vec B$$
possibly (not sure if this is correct) that work per volume is
$$ W_V = \frac {\varepsilon_0 \vec E^2} { \ 2 } + \frac {\vec B^2} { \ \mu_0 2 } $$
My guess is that the force per volume is:
$$ \vec F_V = \rho \alpha x \hat x + \vec J \times \beta x \hat y$$
but I'm not sure where to go after that. I'm not given a value for either the charge density or the current density, so I can't simplify the relation much. Further, I'm not sure if my equation for the "work per volume" is correct. however, it's my best guess for what's being asked for.

Edit:
I've made some progress, which I've attached below. The issue is that I'm suppose to find conditions for that make the force vanish, without having the terms themselves be zero. I can't do this, because the only way for the force volume to be zero is for 'x' to be zero, or for alpha to be zero. (my understanding is that ##\alpha## and ##\beta## need to be related to each other so that the constant's themselves sum the force volume relation to zero).

1588890528025.png

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out. The problem was that I took the cross product incorrectly. it should have been:
$$(\nabla \times \vec B) \times \vec B$$
not
$$\nabla \times (\vec B \times \vec B)$$

Likes Delta2
Yes, well the operation of cross product ##\times## is not associative, though the equality $$(\nabla\times\vec{B})\times\vec{B}=\nabla\times(\vec{B}\times\vec{B})$$ might hold in some special cases, like for example when ##\vec{B}=\vec{c}## is a constant vector, or when ##\nabla\times\vec{B}=\vec{0}##.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. However, when I tried to simplify it, I got:

$$\nabla \times (\vec B \times \vec B) = \vec B(\nabla \cdot \vec B) - \vec B(\nabla \cdot \vec B) + (\nabla \cdot \vec B)\vec B - (\nabla \cdot \vec B)\vec B = 0$$

But when I actually carried out the work, I got an answer. I guess I have that identity wrong?

No the identity seems correct. Another way to view the result directly is to notice that ##\vec{B}\times\vec{B}=\vec{0}##

So then, what did I do wrong here?
1588906423252.png

you do nothing wrong here (except that you use the symbol ##d## for derivatives while I believe it is more formally correct to use the symbol ##\partial## for partial derivatives), you calculate ##\frac{(\nabla\times \vec{B})\times\vec{B}}{\mu_0}## instead which you found correctly to be ##-\frac{\beta^2x\hat x}{\mu_0}##

The equality presented at post #3, holds only in some special cases, it doesn't generally hold because the cross product doesn't have the associative property.

Last edited:
dykuma said:
possibly (not sure if this is correct) that work per volume is
$$ W_V = \frac {\varepsilon_0 \vec E^2} { \ 2 } + \frac {\vec B^2} { \ \mu_0 2 } $$
The right-hand side of this equation represents the field energy per unit volume. But you need to find the rate, per unit volume, that the fields are doing work on the material that has charge density ##\rho## and current density ##\vec J##. Recall from mechanics that the rate at which a force ##\vec F## does work on a particle moving with velocity ##\vec v## is ##\vec F \cdot \vec v##. Try to extend this to your situation. Hint: How are ##\vec v##, ##\rho## and ##\vec J## related?

Right, so because:
$$ \vec J = \rho \vec v$$

So I want:

$$ P_V = \vec F \cdot \frac {\vec J} {\rho}$$
?

dykuma said:
$$ P_V = \vec F \cdot \frac {\vec J} {\rho}$$
Yes. This will be the rate of doing work per unit volume if ##\vec F## is the force per unit volume ##\vec F_V##. Using the expression ##\vec F_V = \rho \vec E + \vec J \times \vec B##, this will reduce to a simple expression for ##P_V##.

Likes Delta2
To go through all of this then, does this look correct to you?
1588914281830.png

Actually, I see that I made an error there.
1588951286855.png

I'm not sure this makes sense though. I would expect there to be some mechanical work done (because the energy per volume is not zero), but because of the dot product (I'm dotting everything that's in the ##\hat x## direction with the current density which is in the ##\hat z## direction), it vanishes.

My next question is how is current density is related to the power density? Are they related at all, or is this zero because they are unrelated?

Last edited:
It is a well known result, that the power (per unit volume) delivered from the EM field to matter is $$P=\vec{E}\cdot\vec{J}$$ so your work and result seems consistent with this.

Last edited:
Likes dykuma
dykuma said:
1588957870748.png

Substitute ##\bf f_V = \rho \bf E + \bf J \times \bf B## into ##P_V = \bf f_V \cdot \frac{\bf J}{\rho}##. It should simplify in just a couple of steps to the simple formula given by @Delta2 in post #13. Then it will be easy to obtain ##P_V = 0## for this problem.

Likes dykuma and Delta2

Related to Force density from an electromagnetic field

What is force density from an electromagnetic field?

Force density from an electromagnetic field is the measure of the force per unit volume exerted on a charged particle by an electromagnetic field. It is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force at a specific point in space.

How is force density from an electromagnetic field calculated?

Force density from an electromagnetic field is calculated by taking the product of the electric field and magnetic field at a specific point in space, and then multiplying it by the electric charge of the particle. This calculation is known as the Lorentz force equation.

What factors affect the force density from an electromagnetic field?

The force density from an electromagnetic field is affected by the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, the distance between the charged particle and the field, and the charge of the particle. It is also influenced by the type of material the particle is in, as different materials have different levels of conductivity and susceptibility to electric and magnetic fields.

What is the significance of force density from an electromagnetic field in physics?

Force density from an electromagnetic field is a fundamental concept in physics, as it helps to explain the behavior and interactions of charged particles in the presence of electromagnetic fields. It is crucial in understanding many phenomena, such as the movement of charged particles in circuits, the production of light and radio waves, and the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

How is force density from an electromagnetic field used in practical applications?

The concept of force density from an electromagnetic field is used in a wide range of practical applications, including electric motors, generators, transformers, and other electrical devices. It is also essential in fields such as telecommunications, medical imaging, and aerospace engineering, where electromagnetic fields are utilized for various purposes.