Force between polar molecule and an ion

In summary: Before submitting answers, let's check if they make sense...In summary, the polar molecule HCl has a potential energy that is -b/x^2. The y component of the force on the ion is fairly obvious but I am getting stuck on the x component. The equation F = −dU/dx can be used to find the x component of the force on the ion.
Westin

Homework Statement

Under certain conditions the interaction between a "polar" molecule such as HCl located at the origin and an ion located along the x-axis can be described by a potential energy U=−b[PLAIN]https://s3.lite.msu.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/144/char3D.pngx^2, where b is a constant.

What is Fx, the x component of the force on the ion?

Fx=
stift.gif
What is Fy, the y component of the force on the ion?

Fy= 0[/B]

Homework Equations

U=-b/x^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The y component of the force on the ion was fairly obvious but I am getting stuck on the x component.

I know that the force must me positive but it was incorrect when I tried +b[PLAIN]https://s3.lite.msu.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/144/char3D.pngx^3[/B][/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to know the partial charges and their separation/distance.

these are the choices i have
A). +2b/x^3
B). 0
C). +b/x^3
D). -2b/x^3
E). -b/(2x)
F). -b/x^3
G). -b/x

What is the relation between force and potential?

Westin said:
I know that the force must me positive
Why?

TESL@ said:
I think you need to know the partial charges and their separation/distance.
Why do you say that?

The molecule will rotate in such way that H will be at the farthest and Cl at the closest point to the ion. Then the force will depend on partial charges and the distance between both H and Cl, and ion and molecule.

TESL@ said:
The molecule will rotate in such way that H will be at the farthest and Cl at the closest point to the ion. Then the force will depend on partial charges and the distance between both H and Cl, and ion and molecule.
On can infer from the equation U=−b/x2 that the molecule is taken as a point dipole with its orientation assumed to be always favorable.

Wait, wouldn't the answer be negative because the force on an object is the negative of the derivative of the potential function? The potential energy U is equal to the work you must do against that force to move an object from the U=0 reference point to the position r. The force you must exert to move it must be equal but oppositely directed, and that is the source of the negative sign.

I'm almost positive the answer is -b/(2x) after what I just said. Any feedback?

Westin said:
I'm almost positive the answer is -b/(2x) after what I just said. Any feedback?
Again, what is the equation that relates force and potential energy?

DrClaude said:
Again, what is the equation that relates force and potential energy?
F = -dU/dx

Westin said:
F = -dU/dx
Great, now apply that equation to the problem given.

Im confused with on how to.. F = −b/x^2 take derive then get -b/2x

Westin said:
Im confused with on how to.. F = −b/x^2 take derive then get -b/2x
I guess you mean U. What is the derivative of ##x^{-2}##?

DrClaude said:
Great, now apply that equation to the problem given.
F = -b/x^2 ---> -bx^-2 ---> 2b/x^3 this is it

Westin said:
It was incorrect... I have one try left , I don't get what else it could be

Westin said:
Doesn't this contradict what you wrote earlier?
Westin said:
Wait, wouldn't the answer be negative because the force on an object is the negative of the derivative of the potential function? The potential energy U is equal to the work you must do against that force to move an object from the U=0 reference point to the position r. The force you must exert to move it must be equal but oppositely directed, and that is the source of the negative sign.

Westin said:
It was incorrect... I have one try left , I don't get what else it could be
Before submitting answers, let's check if they make sense...

Ahh yes it does,-2b/x^3 should be correct? I am sorry for my personal confusion. I'm in a poor experimental physics class at Michigan state where you have to teach yourself online everything..

It's ok to be confused. I'm just hoping that you can gain some good habits. From the formula for energy, you can see that the energy increases (decreases in magnitude but with a negative sign) when the ion moves away from the origin, so the force must be directed towards the molecule. That takes care of the sign. Then it is just a question of going back to fundamentals, ie, F = -dU/dx, to get the force. Then you can check that the answer makes sense, considering the physics (force must be directed towards the origin). It's easy to lose track of minus signs, especially in a case like this where you get 3 in a row.

Related to Force between polar molecule and an ion

1. What is the force between a polar molecule and an ion?

The force between a polar molecule and an ion is an attractive force known as an ion-dipole force. It results from the electrostatic interaction between the charged ion and the polar molecule's permanent dipole moment. This force is strongest when the ion and the polar molecule are in close proximity.

2. How does the size and charge of the ion affect the force between a polar molecule and an ion?

The force between a polar molecule and an ion is directly proportional to the magnitude of the ion's charge. The larger the charge of the ion, the stronger the force will be. Additionally, the size of the ion also plays a role. Smaller ions have a stronger force due to their higher charge density, while larger ions have a weaker force due to their lower charge density.

3. Can a non-polar molecule also experience a force with an ion?

No, non-polar molecules do not have a permanent dipole moment and therefore cannot interact with ions through ion-dipole forces. However, they can still experience other types of intermolecular forces, such as London dispersion forces, which are weak compared to ion-dipole forces.

4. How does the polarity of the polar molecule affect the force with an ion?

The polarity of the polar molecule plays a significant role in the strength of the force with an ion. The more polar the molecule, the stronger the force will be. This is because a more polar molecule has a higher dipole moment, leading to a stronger electrostatic interaction with the ion.

5. Is the force between a polar molecule and an ion always attractive?

Yes, the force between a polar molecule and an ion is always attractive. This is because the ion and the polar molecule have opposite charges, leading to an attractive electrostatic force between them. However, the strength of the force can vary depending on the distance between the ion and the polar molecule.