Force between plates of a capacitor with dielectric and cell

In summary: If you have a battery connected to the plates, the charge on the plates will change, and so will the electric field.
cr7einstein

Homework Statement

My teacher told me that the force will increase ##k^2## times, where ##k## is the dielectric constant, but I don't see how.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To start with, with no dielectric, the force between the plates is given by ##\frac{q^2}{2A\epsilon_{0}}##. If I do insert a dielectric, and The plates are connected to a battery, the charge becomes ##q'=kq##; as potential difference doesn't change (thanks to the battery) but capacitance does. So, when I replace ##q## by ##q'## in the above equation, I must also simultaneously change ##\epsilon_{0}## to ##k \epsilon_{0}##( as the medium has changed), so I get

##F'=\frac{k^2q^2}{2Ak\epsilon_{0}}=kF##, as one of the ##k##'s gets canceled out. I am supposed to get ##k^2F##. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
cr7einstein said:
So, when I replace ##q## by ##q'## in the above equation, I must also simultaneously change ##\epsilon_{0}## to ##k \epsilon_{0}##( as the medium has changed),
You might need to reconsider this statement. It helps to imagine a very thin space (vacuum) between each plate and the neighboring dielectric surface. The electric field at the surface of one of the plates is the electric field just outside the dielectric material.

Adding to TSny's excellent reply -

It would be better to go back to the basics . How do you get the expression for the force on a plate of a capacitor ? You get it by multiplying the " net Electric Field at the plate" with "charge on the plate" . You have correctly calculated the charge . Now think about the net electric field . Which charges are contributing to this field ? Do these charges change on insertion of dielectric ? In case they change , by what factor do they change ? This should clear your doubt .

The surface of the plate is a point (actually a set of points) of left and right discontinuity of the electric field, from left because the electric field in the interior of the plate is zero, and from right because there is the dielectric material there.

Delta² said:
and from right because there is the dielectric material there.
Please read post#2 . I do not understand how does your post directly address OP's doubt .

Isn't the value of the electric field inside the dielectric ##\frac{kq}{2Ak\epsilon_0}## while in the surface of the plate we take it to be ##\frac{kq}{2A\epsilon_0}## so there is a discontinuity from the right too...

I would suggest the principle of virtual work: displace the plates by a small amount, compute the change in stored energy, then equate that to force times the displacement plus the energy furnished or removed by the battery.

The problem is the same whether the dielectric is air or some higher-k dielectric.

Related to Force between plates of a capacitor with dielectric and cell

1. What is the force between plates of a capacitor?

The force between plates of a capacitor is the electrostatic force that exists between two electrically charged plates. This force is responsible for holding the plates together and creating a potential difference between them.

2. How does the presence of a dielectric affect the force between plates?

The presence of a dielectric, which is a material with a high dielectric constant, between the plates of a capacitor increases the force between the plates. This is because the dielectric material increases the capacitance of the capacitor, which in turn increases the charge on the plates and therefore the electrostatic force.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between plates and the force?

The force between plates of a capacitor is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the force between plates change if the charge on the plates is increased?

The force between plates of a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge on the plates. This means that as the charge increases, the force also increases. Therefore, if the charge on the plates is increased, the force between them will also increase.

5. Does the force between plates change if the area of the plates is increased?

The force between plates of a capacitor is directly proportional to the area of the plates. This means that as the area of the plates increases, the force also increases. Therefore, the force between plates will change if the area of the plates is increased.