Force Applied to Two Blocks: Which is Bigger?

In summary, the question is asking which reaction force is bigger when two blocks with masses m1 and m2, where m2>m1, are attached and a force is applied from either the left or right side on a frictionless surface. By applying Newton's second law, it can be determined that the reaction force, R, is bigger in the first case where the force is applied from the left and smaller in the second case where the force is applied from the right. This is because the acceleration, a, is the same in both cases, but the masses of the blocks, m1 and m2, differ.
thonwer

Homework Statement

Two blocks with masses m1 and m2, m2>m1, are attached, I push from the left and from the right side, which force is bigger? The surface is frictionless.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/194/wkft.png

2. The attempt at a solution

I think it's bigger when applied from the left because of the reaction of m2 is bigger than the reaction of m1 because m2>m1, but I don't know any equations to corroborate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi thonwer! welcome to pf! :smile:
thonwer said:
Two blocks with masses m1 and m2, m2>m1, are attached, I push from the left and from the right side, which force is bigger? The surface is frictionless.

i don't understand the question, there seems to be something missing :redface:

why can't the forces be whatever you want? :confused:

The force I have to consider is the arrow drawn in each case because it is what they ask me, the picture is part of the formulation.
What I mean on the question is, in one case I push from the left, in other case I push from the right. In which case the force is bigger so as to move the blocks?

hi thonwer! :smile:
thonwer said:
The force I have to consider is the arrow drawn in each case because it is what they ask me, the picture is part of the formulation.

but the picture shows the same letter, F, for both forces, which presumably means that they are equal :confused:

do you mean which acceleration is bigger?

Ok sorry, I did not explain myself quite well, the Force applied is the same in both cases.

The correct question would be, which reaction force is bigger?

thonwer said:
The correct question would be, which reaction force is bigger?

ahhh! :smile:

well, as you probably know, the acceleration is the same in both cases

so do good ol' Newton's second law for the block that the force F isn't on in each case …

what do you get? :wink:

I didn't understand you sorry, English is not my first language,
what did you want to say with "do good ol' Newton's second law for the block that the force F isn't on in each case" ?

thonwer said:
I didn't understand you sorry, English is not my first language,
what did you want to say with "do good ol' Newton's second law for the block that the force F isn't on in each case" ?

sorry! :smile:

in the first picture, the force F is on the left, pushing on the smaller block

so do the equation "force = mass times acceleration" (ie Newton's second law) for the larger block

(and then do the same for the smaller block in the second picture)

Likes 1 person
For 1: F-R=m1*a -> R=F-m1*a

For 2: F-R=m2*a -> R=F-m2*a

F is the same, a is the same => m1*a<m2*a so R in 1 is bigger

Is it correct?

yes! :smile:

(though it would have been slightly quicker to do the other block in each case:

For 1: R=m2*a

For 2: R=m1*a :wink:)​

Likes 1 person

Related to Force Applied to Two Blocks: Which is Bigger?

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is force applied to two blocks?

Force can be applied to two blocks in various ways, such as pushing, pulling, or sliding one block against the other. The direction and magnitude of the force determine the resulting motion of the blocks.

3. How can you determine which block experiences a greater force?

The block that experiences a greater acceleration or change in motion is the one that is being pushed or pulled with a greater force. This can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma).

4. What factors can affect the force applied to two blocks?

The force applied to two blocks can be affected by the mass, friction, and surface area of the blocks. Additionally, external forces such as gravity, air resistance, and friction with the ground can also impact the force applied.

5. Can the force applied to two blocks ever be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the force applied to two blocks to be equal if the blocks have the same mass and are experiencing the same amount of friction and external forces. In this case, the blocks would have equal acceleration and motion.