Force Applied to Chain at Max Length

• I
  • Thread starter alphanerd132
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain Force
In summary, the conversation explored the concept of force applied to a chain when a heavy object is suddenly stopped. The problem was not well-defined, but it was suggested that the force would be infinite unless elasticity is taken into account. However, even with elasticity, the answer would depend on details such as the mass and shape of the chain. The conversation also mentioned the idea of an ideal hammer hitting an anvil, which would also result in an infinite force.
alphanerd132
I want to know. If you have a car that weighs 4 thousand pounds, and it is moving at 60 mph with a chain on it. What would be the amount of force applied to the chain when the chain reaches its maximum length. This is ignoring the fact that the car would rip apart when the chain stops. This is just an example.

Physics news on Phys.org
alphanerd132 said:
I want to know. If you have a car that weighs 4 thousand pounds, and it is moving at 60 mph with a chain on it. What would be the amount of force applied to the chain when the chain reaches its maximum length. This is ignoring the fact that the car would rip apart when the chain stops. This is just an example.

Hello my Friend,

It is an Interesting problem!
Can you elaborate the situation?
Is the chain touching Ground or Hanging between its Source joint and Car?? and When car moves, should I take Friction of ground on chain into account?

Diptangshu said:
Hello my Friend,

It is an Interesting problem!
Can you elaborate the situation?
Is the chain touching Ground or Hanging between its Source joint and Car?? and When car moves, should I take Friction of ground on chain into account?

Sorry if i was not clear. I am not counting the friction and everything else. I am just saying a chain to have a hypothetical object that will stop a heavy object in its tracks. Just as an example to get a simple equation for a sudden stop.

alphanerd132 said:
Sorry if i was not clear. I am not counting the friction and everything else. I am just saying a chain to have a hypothetical object that will stop a heavy object in its tracks. Just as an example to get a simple equation for a sudden stop.

I will try to answer assuming the chain to be Elastic and massless.

Please verify my approach and tell if there is any problem.
There are 3 pictures. ... You will understand the sequence.

Attachments

• TMPDOODLE1475750541250.jpg
    TMPDOODLE1475750541250.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 504
  • TMPDOODLE1475750576578.jpg
    TMPDOODLE1475750576578.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 530
  • TMPDOODLE1475750625018.jpg
    TMPDOODLE1475750625018.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 505
I am really Sorry for the Emoticons... I was in Hurry and somehow my Browser added them.

But they are not a Problem to Understand the Theory, Fortunately!

alphanerd132 said:
The problem is not well posed. The amount of acceleration is not determined by the information given. Presumably you envision a chain as an inextensible, perfectly flexible massless cord attached to a rigid car and an unmoving anchor. If so, the force would be infinite. But that is unphysical. No car is perfectly rigid, no chain is inextensible or massless and no anchor is perfect.

Likes billy_joule
Diptangshu said:
I will try to answer assuming the chain to be Elastic and massless.

Please verify my approach and tell if there is any problem.
There are 3 pictures. ... You will understand the sequence.

I am terribly sorry if I was not quite clear. What i meant was what would be the "shock" of force that would be an ime
jbriggs444 said:
The problem is not well posed. The amount of acceleration is not determined by the information given. Presumably you envision a chain as an inextensible, perfectly flexible massless cord attached to a rigid car and an unmoving anchor. If so, the force would be infinite. But that is unphysical. No car is perfectly rigid, no chain is inextensible or massless and no anchor is perfect.

I see what you mean. I was trying to think of an equation that is essentially the same thing as a hammer hitting an anvil.

alphanerd132 said:
I see what you mean. I was trying to think of an equation that is essentially the same thing as a hammer hitting an anvil.
Yes, very much the same thing. An ideal hammer hitting an ideal anvil also results in an infinite force and cannot be physically realized.

jbriggs444 said:
Yes, very much the same thing. An ideal hammer hitting an ideal anvil also results in an infinite force and cannot be physically realized.
So what you are saying is that unless you involve elasticity into the equation, it would be an immense force that would be theoretically infinite.

alphanerd132 said:
So what you are saying is that unless you involve elasticity into the equation, it would be an immense force that would be theoretically infinite.
Yes.

There is a caveat. For a chain with non-zero mass, one might be able compute a finite answer, but the answer would depend [at least] on details of the mass of the chain, the shape of the links, the way it lays on the floor. That is because the chain will not come taut all at once. The links would need to rotate into place

jbriggs444 said:
Yes.

There is a caveat. For a chain with non-zero mass, one might be able compute a finite answer, but the answer would depend [at least] on details of the mass of the chain, the shape of the links, the way it lays on the floor. That is because the chain will not come taut all at once. The links would need to rotate into place

Thats an interesting thought. If we simplified it and went to the anvil idea. Would it not be just an equation that deals with the elasticity of the metal of the two?

alphanerd132 said:
Thats an interesting thought. If we simplified it and went to the anvil idea. Would it not be just an equation that deals with the elasticity of the metal of the two?
Elasticity is part of it. But density also enters in. What is it that you actually want to determine here? And why?

Related to Force Applied to Chain at Max Length

1. What is the force applied to a chain at maximum length?

The force applied to a chain at maximum length is known as the breaking force. It is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the chain before it breaks.

2. What factors affect the force applied to a chain at maximum length?

The force applied to a chain at maximum length is affected by several factors, including the type and strength of the chain, the angle of the force, and the weight of the object pulling on the chain.

3. How is the force applied to a chain at maximum length calculated?

The force applied to a chain at maximum length is calculated using the formula F = T x sin(θ), where F is the force, T is the tension in the chain, and θ is the angle of the force.

4. Why is it important to know the force applied to a chain at maximum length?

Knowing the force applied to a chain at maximum length is crucial for determining the safety and durability of the chain, as well as for selecting the appropriate chain for a specific application.

5. How can the force applied to a chain at maximum length be increased?

The force applied to a chain at maximum length can be increased by using a stronger chain, increasing the angle of the force, or reducing the weight of the object pulling on the chain.