Force applied to both sides of a spring. What is the net compression?

In summary, the net compression distance of the spring in this situation is 20cm. This is because when a spring is compressed from both ends with equal force, the total compression is the sum of the individual compressions. This is due to Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The force applied by one arm of the spring serves as a counter to allow the compression to take place, and this force is equal to the force applied by the other arm. This is true regardless of whether the counter is a wall or a hand. The total compression of the spring is what matters, not the individual forces at each end.
Hereformore

Homework Statement

A spring is compressed from both ends by 100 Newtons and the spring constant is given as 1000N/m. What is the net compression distance/displacement (x)?

Homework Equations

F=-k*change(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, I thought that the net displacement would be 20cm since i thought 100 Newtons applied at each end would lead to 10cm compression on each end. 100 = -(1000)*x so x = 10cm. 10cm compression on both sides leads to net compression of 20cm.

But I was wrong, and it's because of Newton's third law? So the force applied by one arm effectively serves as a wall so that compression can take place.

For some reason this seems counterintuitive for me. But i understand that if there were no other hand or wall there (so force applied to only one end), then the spring would simply accelerate to the right. So there needs to be a counter there (whether a wall or hand). If there was a wall, then it would return equal and opposite force to that applied by the spring, hence 100N. So the same principle would apply if there was a hand applying the same force instead.

What confuses me i guess is that we're talking a spring here so its not like we're pushing a block against a wall. I didnt expect the force that the spring would apply to a wall or the second hand to be the same as if the spring were substituted for a block. Would it be okay to see it as, the force applied when the spring is compressed to its maximum amount per that force?

Another reason why I am confused is because in another problem, it says that a spring is compressed from both sides by 5cm, and a force of 50N is applied by both sides. Yet here, we actually do consider the combined force to find the spring constant. How is it that here the spring compresses yet in the case i described above it doesnt?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you push on one end of a spring, an equal but opposite force must react against the other end. You can't have one without the other, (assuming a static situation or a massless spring).

What matters is the total compression of the spring, i.e., how far one end is displaced relative to the other.

Hereformore said:
What confuses me i guess is that we're talking a spring here so its not like we're pushing a block against a wall. I didn't expect the force that the spring would apply to a wall or the second hand to be the same as if the spring were substituted for a block.
Why not?

Would it be okay to see it as, the force applied when the spring is compressed to its maximum amount per that force?
I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you asking about the force exerted by the spring on the wall or hand as it's being compressed?

Another reason why I am confused is because in another problem, it says that a spring is compressed from both sides by 5cm, and a force of 50N is applied by both sides. Yet here, we actually do consider the combined force to find the spring constant. How is it that here the spring compresses yet in the case i described above it doesnt?
Please provide more details.

Related to Force applied to both sides of a spring. What is the net compression?

1. What is the definition of force applied to both sides of a spring?

Force applied to both sides of a spring refers to the amount of external force acting on both ends of a spring, causing it to compress or extend.

2. How is the force applied to both sides of a spring measured?

The force applied to both sides of a spring is typically measured in Newtons (N) using a spring scale or force gauge.

3. What factors affect the net compression of a spring?

The net compression of a spring is affected by the force applied, the stiffness of the spring (measured by its spring constant), and the initial length of the spring before force is applied.

4. How do you calculate the net compression of a spring?

The net compression of a spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its original position. The formula is F = -kx, where F is the applied force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

5. What happens to the net compression of a spring when force is applied to both sides?

When force is applied to both sides of a spring, the net compression is equal to the sum of the individual compressions on each side. This means that the total compression of the spring will be greater than if only one side was compressed.