Force Applied to a Box on a Flat Surface, Find the Force

The correct equation for this case is ##s=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##.In summary, the problem involves a box of mass 72 kg on a frictionless surface being accelerated to the right by a constant horizontal force. It takes the box 3.4 seconds to travel 13 meters. Using the equations v = s/t and F = ma, the first attempt yields a force of 81N while the second attempt, using the equation s = v0t + 0.5at^2, yields a force of 162N. The second attempt is correct because it takes into account the acceleration of the box, while the first attempt does not.
logan3

Homework Statement

A box of mass 72 kg is at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface. A constant horizontal force of magnitude F then acts on the box, accelerating it to the right. You observe that it takes the box 3.4 seconds to travel 13 meters. What is the magnitude of the force F?

m = 72kg
t = 3.4s
s = 13m

Homework Equations

v = s/t
a = v/t
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt:
v = s/t = (13m) / (3.4s) = 3.8235m/s
a = v/t = (3.8235m/s) / (3.4s) = 1.1245m/s^2
F = ma = (72kg)(1.1245m/s^2) = 80.968N == 81N

My second attempt:
v_i = 0m/s
a = F/m
s = (v_i)t + 0.5 (F/m)t^2
=> F = 2sm / t^2 = (2(13m)(72kg)) / (3.4s)^2 = 161.93N == 162N

Which answer is correct and why is one method correct and the other not?

Thank-you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi logan.
Your second attempt looks good to me.I am not sure about calculations.
We use ## v=s/t## when there is uniform motion.But in this case there is uniform accelerated motion.

Related to Force Applied to a Box on a Flat Surface, Find the Force

1. What is the definition of force applied to a box on a flat surface?

Force applied to a box on a flat surface refers to the amount of physical push or pull exerted on the box. It is commonly measured in units of newtons (N).

2. How is the force applied to a box on a flat surface calculated?

The force applied to a box on a flat surface can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, and a is the acceleration of the box. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion.

3. What factors affect the amount of force applied to a box on a flat surface?

The amount of force applied to a box on a flat surface is affected by the mass of the box, the surface area of the box in contact with the surface, and the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface.

4. How does the angle of the surface affect the force applied to a box on a flat surface?

The angle of the surface has a direct effect on the force applied to a box on a flat surface. The force applied will be greater if the surface is inclined, as the weight of the box will act parallel to the surface, increasing the force required to keep the box in place.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in relation to force applied to a box on a flat surface?

Static friction refers to the force that must be overcome to initiate motion between two surfaces in contact, while kinetic friction is the force that acts against motion once it has started. In the case of a box on a flat surface, the force applied will need to be greater than the static friction in order to overcome it and initiate motion.