Force and acceleration on sodium atom if laser bundle shines on atom

In summary: N/kgIn summary, the homework statement is trying to find the average force and acceleration on an atom if a laser shines on it. The homework equation stated that c = 3 * 10 ^ 8 and m sodium = 3.8 * 10^-26 kg. The problem the student is trying to solve is finding the momentum per excitation multiplied by the rate of excitation events. The context of the post is that the student is not sure which formula to use and they are assisted by someone else.
jennyjones

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the average force and acceleration on an sodium atom, if a laser bundle shines on it
which has I>>>> I(sat). I(sat) is the saturation intensity of the 589nm 3s-3p transition in sodium.
3p lives 16 ns

Homework Equations

c = 3 * 10 ^ 8
m sodium = 3.8 * 10^-26 kg
planck = 6.6* 10 ^-34 Js
tua = 16 ns

The Attempt at a Solution

F = - h(bar)/(2*λ*(tau)) ?

not sure which formula to use

thanx,

jenny

Physics news on Phys.org
Not an area I know anything about, but the formula you quoted looks almost right to me.
The h/λ part gives you the momentum of each photon. 1/tau, where tau is the remanence time in the excited state, gives you the max rate of excitation. The reradiation is in a random direction, so you should only count the momentum of the absorbed photons. Force equals rate of change of momentum, so momentum per excitation multiplied by rate of excitation events.

What I don't understand is the constant factor of 1/4π. Maybe someone who knows this area will comment.

Likes 1 person
Hello Jenny,

Could you reveal a bit more of the context of your post ?
I am intrigued by the I >> Isat. I take it the laser is tuned to the 589 nm, but the spectral width isn't indicated: is it sharper than the D-line or much broader?

When you irradiate Na atoms, you get resonance fluorescence (in all directions) and you also get stimulated emission (in the same direction as the incoming photon). When the intensity in increased, the latter shortens the residence time in the upper level (power broadening, page 90). Hope this link works, otherwise: Laser Spectroscopy: Vol. 1: Basic Principles
By Wolfgang Demtröder

I seem to recall that with a broadly tuned laser you get line broadening and with a very sharply tune laser you can get line splitting, but I'm not that sure - long time ago.

However, momentum conservation goes: Cohen-Tannoudji and Dalibard -- real experts in this field, the former a Nobel laureate -- mention a recoil of the atom of around 3 cm/s on p 16 . ( ##p = \hbar{\bf k} = h/\lambda##. No ##1/(4\pi)##. The ##1/\tau## comes in as the number of photons that can be absorbed per second, as Haruspex already wrote).

CT & D work out radiation pressure on p 17; more or less what you are asking.

Likes 1 person
thanks so much for the help!

i think i know how to solve the problem now!

F = dp/dt = - h/λτ
F = - 6.6* 10 ^-34/(589 * 10^-9 * 16 * 10^-9) = -7 * 10^-20

a = F/m = -7 *10^-20/ 3.8 * 10^-26 kg = -1.8 *10^6

I would first like to clarify that the force and acceleration on a sodium atom will depend on several factors, including the intensity and wavelength of the laser bundle, the size and energy state of the atom, and the surrounding environment. It is not possible to provide a single definitive answer without more specific information.

That being said, I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. The formula you have mentioned, F = - h(bar)/(2*λ*(tau)), is known as the "radiation pressure formula" and is often used to calculate the force exerted on an object by a beam of light. However, this formula assumes that the object is perfectly reflective and stationary. Since a sodium atom is neither of those things, it may not be the most appropriate formula to use in this case.

Instead, a more accurate approach would be to consider the interaction between the laser bundle and the electron(s) within the sodium atom. This can be described using quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the energy levels and wavefunctions of the atom. From there, one could calculate the change in momentum and energy of the atom due to the absorption of photons from the laser bundle, and use those values to determine the force and acceleration experienced by the atom.

In summary, the calculation of force and acceleration on a sodium atom under the influence of a laser bundle is a complex problem that requires a thorough understanding of quantum mechanics and the specific parameters of the system. I would recommend consulting with a physicist or conducting further research to determine the most appropriate approach for your specific scenario.

Related to Force and acceleration on sodium atom if laser bundle shines on atom

1. What is the force acting on a sodium atom when a laser bundle shines on it?

The force acting on a sodium atom when a laser bundle shines on it is known as the radiation pressure. This force is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons in the laser bundle to the atom. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the laser bundle and the orientation of the atom.

2. How does the acceleration of a sodium atom change when a laser bundle shines on it?

The acceleration of a sodium atom changes because of the force exerted on it by the laser bundle. The atom experiences a change in momentum and therefore accelerates in the direction of the force. This acceleration can be calculated using Newton's second law, F=ma, where F is the force and m is the mass of the atom.

3. What factors affect the force and acceleration on a sodium atom when a laser bundle shines on it?

The force and acceleration on a sodium atom when a laser bundle shines on it are affected by several factors. These include the intensity, wavelength, and polarization of the laser bundle, as well as the size and shape of the atom. The environment in which the atom is located, such as the presence of other particles, can also have an impact.

4. Can the force and acceleration on a sodium atom be controlled by adjusting the properties of the laser bundle?

Yes, the force and acceleration on a sodium atom can be controlled by adjusting the properties of the laser bundle. For example, changing the intensity or wavelength of the laser bundle can alter the force and acceleration experienced by the atom. By carefully tuning these parameters, scientists can manipulate the motion of individual atoms and molecules.

5. What applications does the study of force and acceleration on atoms through laser bundles have?

The study of force and acceleration on atoms through laser bundles has many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to manipulate and control the motion of individual particles, which is crucial for understanding fundamental physical processes and developing new technologies. This research also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, nanotechnology, and precision measurements.